Full set of game notes (pdf) - 8 pages
Big Sky Conference standings
The Week Ahead
• Winners of three straight, Sacramento State (9-10, 4-2) begins a season-high tying three-match homestand which includes games against Portland State on Tuesday, and Northern Colorado on Thursday. Both matches will begin at 7 p.m. inside the Nest.
• The Hornets are fresh off a road sweep of Idaho State and Weber State. Both wins came in five sets, and Sacramento State has now played in a program-record five consecutive five-set matches. In fact, prior to the current streak, no Hornet team had ever played more than three straight five setters.
• Sacramento State is 3-2 during its run of five-set matches, which includes a home win over Northern Arizona in which the Hornets saved a pair of match points in the fifth.
• The Hornets are currently in a four-way tie for second place with Southern Utah, Montana State and Idaho as each team is 4-2 in league play. Northern Colorado sits in first place with a 6-0 conference record and Portland State is 3-3 along with Northern Arizona.
• Sacramento State is 3-2 at home this season, including 1-1 in league. Three of the Hornets' five matches at home have lasted five sets. Dating back to the beginning of the 2015 season, Sacramento State is 32-2 in Big Sky regular season home contests. In fact, the Hornets had won 31 straight until losing their final home match of the regular season to Idaho in five sets on Nov. 3, 2018.
• The Hornets' current three-match winning streak is the team's longest of the season.
• Setter Ashtin Olin was named the Big Sky's Offensive Player of the Week on Monday after combining for 123 assists in the Hornets' two wins. She is the second straight Hornet to earn the award as outside hitter Sarah Davis was recipient last Monday.
This Week's Multimedia Options
• Video will be offered for every match the remainder of the regular season as all conference matches are aired live and free via both Pluto.TV and watchbigsky.com. That includes this week's home games vs. Portland State and Northern Colorado.
• Live stats will be made available for every match the rest of the season.
• All multimedia options (video, live stats) can always be accessed to the right of each match on the volleyball schedule at www.hornetsports.com.
vs. This Week's Opponents
• Portland State will enter Tuesday's matchup with a 7-10 overall record and 3-3 record in conference. The Vikings have already played four conference matches on the road, and are 1-3 in those outcomes. That includes a 3-0 loss at Weber State and 3-2 defeat at Idaho State last week.
• Northern Colorado enters the week as the hottest team in the Big Sky. The Bears are 12-6 overall and 6-0 in league play. They are the only team in the Big Sky without at least two conference losses. Four of those six Big Sky matches have come at home with the lone road contests both resulting in victories - 3-1 at Idaho State, and 3-0 at Weber State. Northern Colorado has won six straight.
• The Hornets are 46-22 all-time against Portland State, including eight straight wins in the series. The Hornets have not lost to the Vikings since a 3-0 loss at home on Oct. 18, 2014. Sacramento State is 22-4 when playing Portland State at home, including four straight wins inside the Nest.
• Sacramento State is 14-13 all-time against Northern Colorado, including an 11-13 record since the Bears joined the Big Sky in 2006. Sacramento State has won five straight in the series with the last loss coming on the road in three sets on Oct. 16, 2014. The Hornets are 10-4 when playing the Bears at home, including four straight wins on Colberg Court.
• On Monday, setter Ashtin Olin became the third Hornet in the last four weeks to receive some form of Big Sky Player of the Week recognition. The sophomore was named offensive player of the week after Sarah Davis received the honor on Oct. 7. Michelle Taynton was awarded defensive player of the week accolades on Sept. 23.
• Olin, a sophomore, was named offensive player of the week after registering 60-plus assists in both victories last week while finishing with averages of 12.30 assists, 2.20 digs and 0.50 blocks per set. She racked up 123 assists over the two wins, and also tacked on two aces, two kills, 22 digs, and five blocks. Her 717 total assists are the 17th best mark in the nation, and her average of 11.66 assists per set in league play rank second in the Big Sky.
• Senior outside hitter Sarah Davis, who easily leads the Big Sky with 4.22 kills per set, now finds herself ranked among the top five players in the nation in four different categories. The team co-captain is first in the country with 1,075 attacks and 13.61 attacks per set, fourth in total points (377) and fifth in total kills (333). She has led or tied for the team lead in kills in 13 straight, and 17 of the 19 matches this season. In addition, she is now just 92 kills shy of reaching 1,000 for her career. Davis also leads the Big Sky with 4.93 kills per set in conference matches.
• Including its current streak of five straight five-set matches, Sacramento State has already seen eight of its contests reach a fifth frame this year. The Hornets are 6-2 in those outcomes, and five of the team's six conference matches have gone five. Amazingly, the Hornets have played only five 3-set matches (2-3) compared to six 4-setters (1-5) and eight 5-setters (6-2).
• Middle blocker Cianna Andrews currently ranks eighth in the Big Sky in both hitting percentage (.288) and blocks per set (1.03) in conference play. Andrews saw her career high run of five straight matches with double figures in kills come to a close on Saturday at Weber State. However, despite finishing with seven kills in that match, she came up big in the fifth set, accounting for three kills in four swings and a pair of blocks (including a solo).
• Middle blocker Sarah Falk has not committed more than one attack error in each of the last seven matches. Over that span, she is hitting .363 (35-6-80), and is now hitting .360 in conference play.
• Libero Michelle Taynton has at least 17 digs in seven consecutive matches, and 20+ digs in three straight matches. That includes 26 vs. Northern Arizona, a season-high 31 at Idaho State and 23 at Weber State. She ranks sixth in the Big Sky with 4.72 digs per set in conference play.
• Outside hitter Macey Hayden had two big performances in the Hornets' road wins last week, averaging 3.20 kills and 4.40 digs per set. That includes 15 kills and career-high tying 24 digs at Idaho State, and a career-best 17 kills, 20 digs and a .297 hitting percentage at Weber State. Hayden now has 20-plus digs in three of the last five matches, and is averaging 3.81 digs per set in league play.
• Outside hitters Sarah Davis and Macey Hayden, middle blocker Cianna Andrews and rightside hitter Kayla Subbert are the lone Hornets to start all 19 matches this season.
November 9, 2019 VOLLEYBALL GETS BIG ROAD WIN, SWEEPS SOUTHERN UTAH
November 7, 2019 VOLLEYBALL DROPS ROAD MATCH AT NORTHERN ARIZONA
November 2, 2019 VOLLEYBALL FALLS AT HOME IN FIVE SETS TO EASTERN WASHINGTON
October 31, 2019 VOLLEYBALL HOSTS IDAHO TONIGHT, EASTERN WASHINGTON ON SATURDAY
October 26, 2019 VOLLEYBALL FALLS IN 5-SET NAIL BITER AT MONTANA STATE
October 24, 2019 VOLLEYBALL MOVES INTO 2ND PLACE AFTER BEATING MONTANA, 3-1
October 17, 2019 WINNING STREAK SNAPPED, VOLLEYBALL FALLS TO NORTHERN COLORADO, 3-1
October 14, 2019 ASHTIN OLIN NAMED BIG SKY OFFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
October 12, 2019 VOLLEYBALL WINS THIRD STRAIGHT, BEATS WEBER STATE ON THE ROAD, 3-2
October 10, 2019 VOLLEYBALL OVERCOMES DEFICIT, BEATS IDAHO STATE ON THE ROAD, 3-2
October 7, 2019 SARAH DAVIS NAMED BIG SKY OFFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
October 3, 2019 VOLLEYBALL FALLS IN FIVE SETS AT HOME TO SOUTHERN UTAH
September 28, 2019 VOLLEYBALL CONCLUDES LONG ROAD TRIP WITH 3-2 LOSS AT IDAHO
September 26, 2019 VOLLEYBALL OPENS BIG SKY PLAY WITH A 3-1 WIN AT EASTERN WASHINGTON
September 25, 2019 VOLLEYBALL OPENS BIG SKY PLAY ON THE ROAD AT EASTERN WASHINGTON AND IDAHO
September 23, 2019 TAYNTON NAMED BIG SKY VOLLEYBALL DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
September 21, 2019 VOLLEYBALL FALLS AT ARIZONA, 3-1, FINISHES TUCSON TOURNEY WITH A 2-1 RECORD
September 14, 2019 VOLLEYBALL DROPS 2ND ROUND UIC INVITE MATCHUP TO BRADLEY
September 14, 2019 VOLLEYBALL DROPS TOURNAMENT FINALE TO HOST UIC
September 13, 2019 VOLLEYBALL OPENS UIC INVITATIONAL WITH 3-1 LOSS TO MURRAY STATE
September 11, 2019 VOLLEYBALL TRAVELS TO CHICAGO FOR FRIDAY-SATURDAY TOURNAMENT
September 7, 2019 VOLLEYBALL COMPLETES BIG COMEBACK, BEATS ARMY IN FIVE SETS
September 5, 2019 VOLLEYBALL TO PLAY THREE TIMES OVER THREE DAYS IN HAWAII
September 5, 2019 VOLLEYBALL FALLS TO DENVER IN FIRST MATCH OF HAWAII TOURNAMENT
September 3, 2019 VOLLEYBALL WINS FIRST SET, BUT FALLS IN FOUR ON THE ROAD TO UC DAVIS
August 30, 2019 VOLLEYBALL OPENS SEASON WITH THREE-SET SWEEP OF CANISIUS
August 30, 2019 VOLLEYBALL BEATS CSU BAKERSFIELD, OPENS SEASON WITH A 2-0 RECORD
August 16, 2019 VOLLEYBALL SELECTED THIRD IN BIG SKY PRESEASON COACHES POLL
August 7, 2019 VOLLEYBALL SEASON IS ALMOST HERE! FIRST PRACTICE ON SATURDAY