Full set of game notes (7 pages) - pdf
The Week Ahead
• Sacramento State will travel to Honolulu for the just the second time in school history and take part in this week's four-team Rainbow Wahine Invitational, hosted by 20th-ranked Hawai'i.
• Prior to this week's trip, the only other time Sacramento State has played in Hawaii was the 1996 season when the team competed at the Hawai'i Invitational.
• The Hornets will play three times over three days, featuring a matchup on Thursday vs. Denver at 7:45 p.m. PDT, Friday vs. Hawai'i at 10 p.m. PDT, and Saturday vs. Army at 2 p.m. PDT.
• By the time the tournament ends, Sacramento State, which lost in four sets at UC Davis on Tuesday, will have played matches four times over a five-day span.
• The Hornets are 2-2 in a season that started last week when the team won the Sacramento State Invitational by finishing the tourney 2-1, which included wins over Canisius and CSU Bakersfield.
This Week's Multimedia Options
• A free video stream will be provided for Sacramento State's match against Hawai'i, but there will be no video for the Denver or Army matches.
• Live stats will be made available for every game of the tournament.
• Multimedia options (video, live stats) can be accessed to the right of each match on the volleyball schedule at www.hornetsports.com.
vs. Tournament Opponents
• All three of the Hornets' opponents have yet to lose a match this season as Hawai'i, Denver and Army all bring 3-0 records into the tournament.
• Sacramento State will play Denver for just the second time in school history. The two teams faced each other last year at Denver where the Pioneers outlasted the Hornets in five sets. In the three sets the Hornets lost that match, they had a 22-21 lead in the first, a 20-15 advantage in the third, and opened the fifth set on a 4-0 run. Denver is the defending Summit League regular season champions after finishing last year with a 27-3 overall record and 15-0 conference mark.
• Hawai'i is currently ranked 20th in the nation after opening the season with wins over San Diego, St. John's and Washington. A perennial volleyball powerhouse, Hawai'i defeated Sacramento State in four sets on Sept. 6, 1996. That remains the only meeting between the two programs.
• The Hornets will be playing Army for the first time since 1993, which was the Hornets' third year at the Div. I level. Sacramento State is 3-0 in the series with all three of those contests played at Army (once in 1992, twice in 1993).
Hornets Selected Third In Big Sky Preseason Coaches Poll
• Sacramento State was selected to finish third out of 11 teams in the Big Sky Conference's volleyball preseason coaches poll.
• The Hornets feature 10 returning players, including four starters from a year ago. Last season's team finished with a 16-16 overall record and an 11-6 mark in the Big Sky, which was good for a fifth place finish.
• Sacramento State was picked to finish third in the preseason poll for the third consecutive year. Since 2015, the Hornets have combined for an 90-47 overall record and a 51-14 league mark. That includes a Big Sky regular season championship in 2017.
• After playing its first three matches at home last week, Sacramento State will spend the entire month of September on the road. That amounts to a 12-match road trip that finally ends when the Hornets are back at home for a Big Sky Conference matchup vs. Southern Utah on Oct. 3.
• The Hornets have used the same starting lineup in all four matches, consisting of Sarah Davis and Macey Hayden at outside hitter, Cianna Andrews and Sarah Falk in the middle, Kayla Subbert on the right side, Ashtin Olin at setter and Paige Swinney at libero.
• The Hornets have won the first set in all four matches they have played thus far.
• Sarah Davis, who ranks second in the Big Sky with 3.81 kills per set, has led the Hornets in kills in all four matches. The team co-captain has finished with 12, 18, 17 and 14 kills, respectively. Davis was named the Sacramento State Invitational MVP last weekend.
• Sacramento State's defense has been solid, limiting the opposition to a .175 hitting percentage while averaging 15.31 digs and 2.56 blocks per set. However, the offense currently ranks last in the Big Sky with a .150 hitting percentage. After hitting a respectable .217 in the season opener vs. Canisius, the Hornets have hit .179, .106 and .116, respectively, over their last three matches.
• Libero Paige Swinney has led the Hornets in digs in every match and ranks second in the Big Sky with 4.81 digs per set. She has at least 18 digs in each of the last three matches, including a season-best 27 in a four-set loss to Nevada. Swinney is a team co-captain this year along with Sarah Davis.
• Middle blocker Cianna Andrews was named to the Sacramento State Invite all-tournament team and currently averages 2.31 kills and 1.38 blocks per set. The blocks per set rank third in the Big Sky. Andrews made the switch to the middle after starting 30 matches on the right side a year ago.
• The Hornets' lone returning all-conference selection from a season ago, sophomore setter Ashtin Olin has averages of 7.56 assists, 2.88 digs and 0.50 blocks per set thus far.
• Of the 16 players on the Hornets' roster, 14 have played. Of those 14, six are newcomers, including three true freshmen, two redshirt freshmen and one transfer. The Hornets have just one senior on the roster (Davis), and 11 of the 16 players are underclassmen.
• Since joining Div. I in 1991, the Hornets are 7-48 when facing nationally ranked opposition. The last victory came in a four-set neutral site (San Francisco) win over #14 Cal Poly on Sept. 15, 2007.
October 17, 2019 WINNING STREAK SNAPPED, VOLLEYBALL FALLS TO NORTHERN COLORADO, 3-1
October 14, 2019 ASHTIN OLIN NAMED BIG SKY OFFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
October 12, 2019 VOLLEYBALL WINS THIRD STRAIGHT, BEATS WEBER STATE ON THE ROAD, 3-2
October 10, 2019 VOLLEYBALL OVERCOMES DEFICIT, BEATS IDAHO STATE ON THE ROAD, 3-2
October 7, 2019 SARAH DAVIS NAMED BIG SKY OFFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
October 3, 2019 VOLLEYBALL FALLS IN FIVE SETS AT HOME TO SOUTHERN UTAH
September 28, 2019 VOLLEYBALL CONCLUDES LONG ROAD TRIP WITH 3-2 LOSS AT IDAHO
September 26, 2019 VOLLEYBALL OPENS BIG SKY PLAY WITH A 3-1 WIN AT EASTERN WASHINGTON
September 25, 2019 VOLLEYBALL OPENS BIG SKY PLAY ON THE ROAD AT EASTERN WASHINGTON AND IDAHO
September 23, 2019 TAYNTON NAMED BIG SKY VOLLEYBALL DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
September 21, 2019 VOLLEYBALL FALLS AT ARIZONA, 3-1, FINISHES TUCSON TOURNEY WITH A 2-1 RECORD
September 14, 2019 VOLLEYBALL DROPS 2ND ROUND UIC INVITE MATCHUP TO BRADLEY
September 14, 2019 VOLLEYBALL DROPS TOURNAMENT FINALE TO HOST UIC
September 13, 2019 VOLLEYBALL OPENS UIC INVITATIONAL WITH 3-1 LOSS TO MURRAY STATE
September 11, 2019 VOLLEYBALL TRAVELS TO CHICAGO FOR FRIDAY-SATURDAY TOURNAMENT
September 7, 2019 VOLLEYBALL COMPLETES BIG COMEBACK, BEATS ARMY IN FIVE SETS
September 5, 2019 VOLLEYBALL TO PLAY THREE TIMES OVER THREE DAYS IN HAWAII
September 5, 2019 VOLLEYBALL FALLS TO DENVER IN FIRST MATCH OF HAWAII TOURNAMENT
September 3, 2019 VOLLEYBALL WINS FIRST SET, BUT FALLS IN FOUR ON THE ROAD TO UC DAVIS
August 30, 2019 VOLLEYBALL OPENS SEASON WITH THREE-SET SWEEP OF CANISIUS
August 30, 2019 VOLLEYBALL BEATS CSU BAKERSFIELD, OPENS SEASON WITH A 2-0 RECORD
August 16, 2019 VOLLEYBALL SELECTED THIRD IN BIG SKY PRESEASON COACHES POLL
August 7, 2019 VOLLEYBALL SEASON IS ALMOST HERE! FIRST PRACTICE ON SATURDAY