Sacramento State Game Notes (7 pages) - pdf
Big Sky Conference Standings
The Week Ahead
• Coming off a Sacramento State Invitational championship last weekend, the Hornets (5-6) will play their fourth tournament of the preseason at the Boise State Classic.
• The Hornets will play three times over two days, beginning on Friday with matches against Portland (11 a.m. PDT) and Washington (4 p.m. PDT). On Saturday, Sacramento State concludes tournament play with a game at host Boise State at 11 a.m. PDT.
• The Hornets will be tested this week as they play three teams that have a combined 20-3 record. That includes Portland (9-0), Boise State (6-1) and Washington (5-2).
• The Hornets posted a 2-1 record at last weekend's Sacramento State Invitational, and won the tournament championship. The team beat Nevada and UC Riverside in four sets, and lost to Seattle in five sets (15-13 in the fifth).
• Of the Hornets' first 11 matches, seven have come at home. Sacramento State is 2-0 when playing on a neutral floor, and 0-2 when playing on an opponent's home court.
• After this week's tournament, the Hornets begin Big Sky Conference play next week.
This Week's Multimedia Options
• Boise State is offering free live video streams of every match of the tournament via the Mountain West Digital Network.
• In addition, live stats will be offered for every match of the tournament.
• Multimedia options (video, live stats) for all Sacramento State matches can be accessed to the right of each match on the volleyball schedule at www.hornetsports.com.
vs. This Week's Opponents
• Sacramento State has never lost to Portland in five tries. The last matchup between the two schools was a 3-2 Hornet win (15-13 in the fifth set) on a neutral floor in Corvallis, Ore., on Aug. 28, 2010.
• The Hornets and Washington, a member of the Pac-12 Conference, have faced each other just twice. The Huskies won in five sets on a neutral floor in 1978, and Sacramento State swept Washington at home (15-6, 15-5, 15-8) on Sept. 7, 1999.
• The Hornets are 4-3 all-time against Boise State, and the teams have played each other three times in the last six years. Sacramento State lost in five sets to the Broncos in Boise a year ago (18-16 in the fifth) in a contest the Hornets squandered two match points. The Hornets are 2-2 when playing Boise State on its home floor, but have not won in Boise since 1993.
Injury Bug Already Hitting Hard
• There is a chance the Hornets will be playing all three matches this weekend without a true setter.
• True freshman McKenna Smith was already lost for the season to a foot injury suffered in August practices. And redshirt freshman Ashtin Olin injured her knee in the Hornets' final match of the Sacramento State Invitational on Saturday.
• Olin is questionable to play this week. If she can't go, that would mean Sacramento State will enter the tournament with zero healthy setters on the roster.
• Should that happen, the Hornets will likely employ a modified 5-1 offense that will see player(s) who have never set in their careers take on the position for the first time.
Lots Of Sets Decided By Two Points
• Of Sacramento State's 45 sets played, 16 have been decided by two points. That means over 35 percent of the team's sets have been decided by two points.
• The Hornets are 7-9 in two-point sets. After winning six of their first eight two-point outcomes, Sacramento State has lost seven of its last eight two-pointers.
• Sacramento State has gone to five sets with three of its opponents, and two of those fifth sets have been decided by two points. Unfortunately, neither of those outcomes went the Hornets' way including a 16-14 loss to CSUN on Aug. 24, and a 15-13 loss to Seattle this past Saturday.
• The Hornets are just two wins shy of reaching 1,000 victories as a program (998-454, .687 win%).
• Senior outside hitter Mikaela Nocetti will face her former team on Friday when the Hornets take on Portland. Nocetti, a team co-captain for the Hornets, spent her freshman season at Portland before transferring to Sacramento State. Nocetti currently leads the team with 3.63 kills per set to go along with 2.67 digs and 0.40 blocks per set.
• Five different Hornets currently rank among the top 25 players in the nation in different statistical categories. Middle blocker Lana Brown is second in the nation with 59 blocks, defensive specialist Skyler Takeda is third with 31 aces, setter Ashtin Olin is seventh with 428 assists, libero Paige Swinney is eighth with 213 digs, and Nocetti is 21st with 156 kills and 22nd with 176.5 points.
• Defensively, the Hornets continue to thrive. Sacramento State has limited the opposition to a .173 hitting percentage this season, and only two teams have hit above .217 (Denver .277; Santa Clara .260). The Hornets are averaging a healthy 16.56 digs and 2.63 blocks per sets.
• The team's 118.5 total blocks are second most in the nation and Sacramento State has tallied double figures in team blocks in four straight, and eight of the 11 matches this season.
• The Hornets are 0-5 when their opponents hit better than .200, and 5-1 when holding the opposition to a percentage below .200.
• Nocetti was named the Sacramento State Invitational MVP over the weekend, and Swinney was named the Big Sky Defensive Player of the Week on Monday. Swinney was also an all-tournament selection at the Sacramento State Invite.
• Brown has at least five blocks in four straight, and nine of 11 matches this season.
• Sarah Davis, who has spent time as an outside hitter and a rightside hitter this year, had a career-high tying 16 kills on Saturday vs. Seattle.
September 18, 2018 VOLLEYBALL OPENS BIG SKY CONFERENCE PLAY THIS WEEK AT THE MONTANA SCHOOLS
September 14, 2018 INJURY RAVAGED VOLLEYBALL PLAYS TOUGH, BUT FALLS TO PORTLAND
September 14, 2018 VOLLEYBALL FALLS TO 13TH-RANKED WASHINGTON
September 10, 2018 SWINNEY NAMED BIG SKY DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
September 6, 2018 VOLLEYBALL HOSTS THE 4-TEAM SACRAMENTO STATE INVITE FRIDAY AND SATURDAY
September 4, 2018 VOLLEYBALL COMES UP JUST SHORT IN 3-1 HOME LOSS TO UC DAVIS
August 28, 2018 VOLLEYBALL FALLS ON THE ROAD TO SANTA CLARA
August 25, 2018 VOLLEYBALL FALLS IN FOUR SETS TO ARIZONA
August 24, 2018 VOLLEYBALL OPENS SEASON WITH 3-1 VICTORY OVER UTAH STATE
August 8, 2018 VOLLEYBALL SELECTED THIRD IN BIG SKY PRESEASON COACHES POLL