Full Game Notes (23 pages) - pdf
Big Sky Conference standings
The Week Ahead
• Winners of five of its first six Big Sky Conference contests, Sacramento State (11-9, 5-1) concludes a five-match road trip on Thursday at Southern Utah (2-16, 0-6) at 6 p.m. PDT, and Saturday at Northern Arizona (15-4, 5-1) at 12 p.m. PDT.
• The Hornets are currently tied atop the Big Sky's South Division with Northern Arizona.
• Making the Hornets' 5-1 league mark even more impressive is five of the team's conference matches have been on the road. In fact, Sacramento State is in the midst of a stretch that will see the Hornets play seven of their first eight league matches on the road.
• Sacramento State is just two points shy of being 6-0 in conference play as the team lost at North Dakota on Thursday by a 15-13 score in the fifth set.
• The Hornets' 5-1 league record is their best after six matches since the 2011 season.
• Overall, the Hornets are 7-3 when playing on an opponent's home floor, and need just one victory to match their most road wins in 10 years (2015 and 2007 had eight road victories).
• After this week's slate of matches, Sacramento State will play seven of its final eight regular season conference matches at home.
• The Hornets' win at Northern Colorado last Saturday was the Hornets' first in Greeley since Nov. 11, 2006, snapping a streak of eight straight losses to the Bears in Greeley.
• Should the Hornets beat Southern Utah on Thursday, and Northern Arizona beat Portland State, Saturday's match at the Rolle Activity Center would be a matchup of the two first-place teams in the Big Sky's South Division.
This Week's Multimedia Options
• Just like every match the remainder of the season (home or away), both contests this week can be viewed live and free via www.WatchBigSky.com.
• Live stats will also be available for every match this year, home or away.
• Multimedia options (video, live stats, audio, etc.) can be accessed to the right of each match on the volleyball schedule at www.hornetsports.com.
Against This Week's Opponents
• Southern Utah, which joined the Big Sky in 2012, is currently 2-16 overall, 0-6 in the Big Sky and 0-3 at home. The Thunderbirds have dropped 12 consecutive matches.
• The Hornets are 5-3 all-time against Southern Utah, including a sweep of the teams' two matches a year ago. Sacramento State is 2-2 when playing the Thunderbirds in Cedar City, Utah.
• Northern Arizona, which is the defending Big Sky regular season and tournament champions, is 15-4 overall, 5-1 in league and 4-0 at home.
• The Hornets and Lumberjacks played three times a year ago with the Hornets winning at home and NAU winning a pair in Flagstaff. One of those matches was a Big Sky Tournament semifinal contest in which the Lumberjacks swept the Hornets, 25-17, 25-14, 25-15, in Flagstaff.
• The Hornets are 33-15 all-time vs. the Lumberjacks, but just 10-13 when playing on NAU's home floor. Sacramento State has dropped seven straight in Flagstaff with the team's last win on NAU's home floor coming on Oct. 22, 2009.
• Sacramento State has been especially good on the road as the Hornets enter the week with a 7-3 record when playing on an opponent's home floor, including 4-1 in conference play.
• The team's four league wins already tie for the most Big Sky road wins in the last eight years. The 2015, 2011 and 2009 squads all finished with four Big Sky road victories.
• The last time a Hornet squad finished with a road record above the .500 mark in league play was 2007 when the Hornets went 6-2.
• Overall, Sacramento State is 7-3 on the road this year, and are a pair of two-point fifth set losses from being 9-1 on the road. That included losses at New Mexico State (16-14 in the 5th set) and North Dakota (15-13 in the 5th set).
• The Hornets' most road wins spanning the last nine years is eight, accomplished by the 2015 squad (8-5) and 2007 (8-5). The 2006 squad went 11-4 on the road.
Off And Running With a 5-1 League Record
• Sacramento State is 5-1 in the Big Sky after six matches for the first time since 2011. A win on Thursday at Southern Utah would give the Hornets a 6-1 record which would be the team's best conference record since the Hornets began the 2007 season with a 7-0 mark.
• Picked fifth out of 12 teams in the Big Sky's preseason coaches poll, Sacramento State's first half schedule in league play was easily the toughest in the conference. The Hornets are the only team that has to play seven of their first eight conference matches on the road.
• Sacramento State is off to a good start in league play despite losing both of their outside hitters from last season's 26-7, 12-4 team. The Hornets were led in 2015 by senior outside hitters Lauren Kissell (first team all-league) and Sloan Lovett (second team all-league).
• Setter Kennedy Kurtz ranks second in the nation with 847 assists, and 13th in the nation with 11.29 assists per set. Kurtz sets an offense that averages 39.4 attacks per set (2nd in the nation).
• The Hornets rank among the nation's top 45 teams in digs (25th, 16.68 dps), kills (40th, 13.91 kps) and assists (45th, 12.91 aps). The team is 1st in the Big Sky in kills and assists, 2nd in digs.
• Outside hitter Shannon Boyle is fourth in the Big Sky in double-doubles (10), kills (3.62 per set) and points (4.01 per set).
• In Big Sky play, Madeline Cannon, who has at least 14 kills in five of the last six matches, ranks third in the league in hitting percentage (.354), fourth in points (4.04 pps) and eighth in kills (3.52 kps).
• Outside hitter Morgan Stanley is now just 28 kills shy of 1,000 career kills.
• Courtney Dietrich is hitting .380 overall (2nd in the Big Sky) and .338 in conference play (5th).
• Mikaela Nocetti has double-figure kills in five of her last six matches and is averaging 2.84 kills and 2.00 digs per set in conference play.
• Lexie Skalbeck had a career-best 34 digs at North Dakota and averages 5.44 digs per set in league play, the fourth best mark in the Big Sky.
March 24, 2017 VOLLEYBALL TO PLAY FIVE MATCHES IN CHINA IN EARLY JUNE
February 28, 2017 KURTZ AND BOYLE TO ATTEND THE WOMEN’S NATIONAL TEAM OPEN TRYOUTS
January 30, 2017 HELP SUPPORT VOLLEYBALL'S SUMMER TRIP TO CHINA
November 15, 2016 VOLLEYBALL BEGINS BIG SKY TOURNAMENT ON THURSDAY VS. EASTERN WASHINGTON
October 31, 2016 CANNON AND SKALBECK SWEEP BIG SKY VOLLEYBALL WEEKLY AWARDS
October 26, 2016 VOLLEYBALL CONTINUES HOMESTAND; LOOKS TO IMPROVE HOME WINNING STREAK
October 20, 2016 FINALLY BACK AT HOME, VOLLEYBALL SWEEPS PAST IDAHO
October 8, 2016 VOLLEYBALL REMAINS HOT ON THE ROAD, BEATS NORTHERN COLORADO, 3-1
September 29, 2016 VOLLEYBALL HOSTS MONTANA TONIGHT, TRAVELS TO PORTLAND STATE ON SATURDAY
September 29, 2016 VOLLEYBALL NOW 3-0 IN THE BIG SKY AFTER HOME SWEEP OF MONTANA
September 26, 2016 KURTZ NAMED THE BIG SKY’S VOLLEYBALL OFFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
September 24, 2016 VOLLEYBALL NOW 2-0 IN THE BIG SKY AFTER 3-2 ROAD WIN AT IDAHO STATE
September 23, 2016 VOLLEYBALL OPENS CONFERENCE PLAY WITH 3-1 ROAD WIN AT WEBER STATE
September 21, 2016 VOLLEYBALL BEGINS CONFERENCE PLAY THIS WEEK ON THE ROAD
September 17, 2016 VOLLEYBALL SWEEPS SECOND ROUND MATCHUP OVER GRAND CANYON, 3-0
September 17, 2016 VOLLEYBALL FALLS TO EVENTUAL TOURNAMENT CHAMPION CAL POLY
September 16, 2016 VOLLEYBALL FALLS IN FOUR TO NEVADA IN 1ST ROUND OF SACRAMENTO STATE INVITE
September 13, 2016 VOLLEYBALL HOSTS UC DAVIS TONIGHT, TOURNAMENT ON FRIDAY & SATURDAY
September 13, 2016 VOLLEYBALL FALLS IN HOME OPENER TO UC DAVIS
September 10, 2016 VOLLEYBALL CONCLUDES 10-MATCH ROAD TRIP WITH CONVINCING SWEEP OF UTEP
September 9, 2016 VOLLEYBALL DROPS ANOTHER CLOSE MATCH, FALLS IN FIVE TO NEW MEXICO STATE
September 9, 2016 VOLLEYBALL FALLS TO ARIZONA IN 2ND ROUND OF LAS CRUCES TOURNAMENT
September 8, 2016 VOLLEYBALL WRAPS UP 10-MATCH ROAD TRIP THIS WEEK
September 6, 2016 VOLLEYBALL PICKS UP ROAD WIN, SWEEPS CSU BAKERSFIELD
September 3, 2016 VOLLEYBALL DROPS THREE 2-POINT SETS IN 3-1 LOSS TO HOFSTRA
September 2, 2016 VOLLEYBALL SUFFERS FIRST LOSS OF THE YEAR, FALLS AT UNLV, 3-1
September 2, 2016 VOLLEYBALL FALLS IN 2ND ROUND OF VEGAS TOURNAMENT TO CSUN
September 1, 2016 VOLLEYBALL TAKES 3-0 RECORD TO TOURNAMENT IN VEGAS
August 29, 2016 SKALBECK NAMED THE BIG SKY’S DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
August 23, 2016 VOLLEYBALL OPENS THE 2016 SEASON THIS FRIDAY IN ARLINGTON
August 23, 2016 VOLLEYBALL’S SPAGHETTI FEED FUNDRAISER GENERATES OVER $15,000
August 18, 2016 VOLLEYBALL ALUMNI GAME AND SPAGHETTI FEED ON TAP FOR SATURDAY
May 27, 2016 VOLLEYBALL RELEASES ITS 2016 SCHEDULE