Full Set of Game Notes (22 pages) - pdf
Big Sky Conference standings
The Week Ahead
• After posting a 6-8 record during the non-conference portion of the season, Sacramento State will begin Big Sky Conference play this week with a pair of road matches.
• The Hornets will play matches on back-to-back days, beginning on Friday at Weber State followed by a matchup on Saturday at Idaho State. Both will begin at 6 p.m. PDT.
• Sacramento State will face an improved Weber State squad that is currently 9-0, and will be playing its home opener. The Wildcats, who went 6-22 a year ago, have won tournaments in Houston, Fullerton, and Macomb, Ill.
• Idaho State is currently 5-8 overall, including 0-4 at home. However, three of those home losses came to Boise State, Missouri and 10th-ranked BYU.
• The Hornets are coming off a 1-2 weekend at the 14th annual Sacramento State Invitational. The Hornets swept Grand Canyon, but fell to both Nevada (3-1) and Cal Poly (3-0).
• Sacramento State is 3-2 when playing on an opponent's home floor this season, including wins at UT Arlington, CSU Bakersfield and UTEP.
• Last year, Sacramento State was 12-4 in Big Sky play, including an 8-5 mark on the road.
• This week marks the only time all conference season the Hornets will play on Friday. Every other Big Sky weekly slate of games (home or road) will feature Thursday and Saturday matchups.
• Since joining the Big Sky in 1996, the Hornets are 14-6 in Big Sky openers. In the program's 21st season in the Big Sky, this will mark just the seventh time Sacramento State has played its conference opener on the road (the Hornets are 2-4 thus far).
This Week's Multimedia Options
• Just like every match the remainder of the season (home or away), Friday and Saturday's contests can be viewed live and free via www.WatchBigSky.com.
• Live stats will also be available for every match this year, home or away.
• Multimedia options (video, live stats, audio, etc.) can be accessed to the right of each match on the volleyball schedule at www.hornetsports.com.
Against This Week's Opponents
• The Hornets are 28-13 all-time against Idaho State, including a 12-8 mark when the two teams meet in Pocatello. However, Idaho State has won four straight, and five of the last six meetings on its home floor against Sacramento State.
• Last year, the Hornets and Bengals split the season series with each team winning at home.
• The Hornets are 33-10 against Weber State, which includes a 14-5 mark when playing in Ogden. Sacramento State has won six of the last seven meetings on Weber State's home floor.
• Last year, the Hornets swept the season series over the Wildcats.
Boyle Putting Up Big Numbers After Return From Injury
• After missing 18 matches last year with a back injury, hard-hitting outside hitter Shannon Boyle has been impressive in her return this season.
• Boyle has already been named to a pair of all-tournament teams, including this past weekend at the Sacramento State Invitational.
• She leads team in both matches with double-figure kills (11) and double-doubles (7). In addition, she ranks third in the Big Sky in both kills per set (3.81) and points per set (4.24).
• Boyle has seen a high volume of sets come her way as she is 36th in the nation with 11.04 swings per set. Her career high in kills of 21 came at UNLV.
Quest For 1,000
• Senior outside hitter Morgan Stanley is now just 52 kills shy of reaching the 1,000 kill milestone.
• She would become the 21st Hornet since 1985 to achieve the feat.
• The last Hornet to accomplish the feat was current student assistant Sloan Lovett who did it last year.
• Stanley, in her fourth year with the program, also has 812 career digs as she attempts to become the 12th Sacramento State player since 1985 to notch 1,000 career kills and 1,000 career digs.
Consistently Hitting For A High Percentage
• Amazingly, middle blocker Courtney Dietrich has hit better than .315 in all but two matches.
• She currently averages 1.70 kills per set and is hitting .400, which is the 25th best mark in the nation. Of her 160 swings, she has 80 kills with just 16 errors.
• Making those numbers even more impressive is she is coming off a severe knee injury suffered less than 11 months ago which forced her to miss the last seven matches of 2015.
• Dating back to last season, over her last 17 matches played, Dietrich is hititng .444 (95-16-178).
• After finishing 17th in the nation last season with 11.39 assists per set, junior Kennedy Kurtz is currently 16th in the nation with 11.28 assists per set this season. Kurtz is also hitting .424 (31-3-66), and now has a career hitting percentage of .328. If she had enough attempts to qualify, that .328 hitting percentage would rank as the seventh best mark in Sacramento State's Div. I era (1991-pres.).
• Outside hitter Mikaela Nocetti continues to have a nice season. The transfer from Portland is averaging 2.75 kills, 3.07 points and 2.39 digs per set while posting the highest hitting percentage (.210) among all Hornet outside hitters.
• Libero Lexie Skalbeck has posted double figures in digs in all but two matches. Of those two matches will less than 10 digs, she played just one set vs. CSUN to get some rest and dealt with an injury issue in the other against Cal Poly. Skalbeck is currently sixth in the Big Sky with 4.29 digs per set.
• Middle blocker Brie Gathright is now eighth in the Big Sky with 1.09 blocks per set. In addition, her .299 hitting percentage is tied for the 10th best mark in the league.
• Skyler Takeda and Hannah Meadows have both missed the last seven matches due to injury.
• The Hornets continue to lead the Big Sky in both kills (13.96) and digs (16.38) per set. Among the nation's leaders, Sacramento State is 42nd in kills and 38th in digs.
• An area the Hornets need to improve is service errors. The team is averaging nearly two service errors per set (1.86) and currently has 33 more errors than aces. That amounts to 60 service aces and 93 service errors. The opposition has just 64 service errors.
March 24, 2017 VOLLEYBALL TO PLAY FIVE MATCHES IN CHINA IN EARLY JUNE
February 28, 2017 KURTZ AND BOYLE TO ATTEND THE WOMEN’S NATIONAL TEAM OPEN TRYOUTS
January 30, 2017 HELP SUPPORT VOLLEYBALL'S SUMMER TRIP TO CHINA
November 15, 2016 VOLLEYBALL BEGINS BIG SKY TOURNAMENT ON THURSDAY VS. EASTERN WASHINGTON
October 31, 2016 CANNON AND SKALBECK SWEEP BIG SKY VOLLEYBALL WEEKLY AWARDS
October 26, 2016 VOLLEYBALL CONTINUES HOMESTAND; LOOKS TO IMPROVE HOME WINNING STREAK
October 20, 2016 FINALLY BACK AT HOME, VOLLEYBALL SWEEPS PAST IDAHO
October 8, 2016 VOLLEYBALL REMAINS HOT ON THE ROAD, BEATS NORTHERN COLORADO, 3-1
September 29, 2016 VOLLEYBALL HOSTS MONTANA TONIGHT, TRAVELS TO PORTLAND STATE ON SATURDAY
September 29, 2016 VOLLEYBALL NOW 3-0 IN THE BIG SKY AFTER HOME SWEEP OF MONTANA
September 26, 2016 KURTZ NAMED THE BIG SKY’S VOLLEYBALL OFFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
September 24, 2016 VOLLEYBALL NOW 2-0 IN THE BIG SKY AFTER 3-2 ROAD WIN AT IDAHO STATE
September 23, 2016 VOLLEYBALL OPENS CONFERENCE PLAY WITH 3-1 ROAD WIN AT WEBER STATE
September 21, 2016 VOLLEYBALL BEGINS CONFERENCE PLAY THIS WEEK ON THE ROAD
September 17, 2016 VOLLEYBALL SWEEPS SECOND ROUND MATCHUP OVER GRAND CANYON, 3-0
September 17, 2016 VOLLEYBALL FALLS TO EVENTUAL TOURNAMENT CHAMPION CAL POLY
September 16, 2016 VOLLEYBALL FALLS IN FOUR TO NEVADA IN 1ST ROUND OF SACRAMENTO STATE INVITE
September 13, 2016 VOLLEYBALL HOSTS UC DAVIS TONIGHT, TOURNAMENT ON FRIDAY & SATURDAY
September 13, 2016 VOLLEYBALL FALLS IN HOME OPENER TO UC DAVIS
September 10, 2016 VOLLEYBALL CONCLUDES 10-MATCH ROAD TRIP WITH CONVINCING SWEEP OF UTEP
September 9, 2016 VOLLEYBALL DROPS ANOTHER CLOSE MATCH, FALLS IN FIVE TO NEW MEXICO STATE
September 9, 2016 VOLLEYBALL FALLS TO ARIZONA IN 2ND ROUND OF LAS CRUCES TOURNAMENT
September 8, 2016 VOLLEYBALL WRAPS UP 10-MATCH ROAD TRIP THIS WEEK
September 6, 2016 VOLLEYBALL PICKS UP ROAD WIN, SWEEPS CSU BAKERSFIELD
September 3, 2016 VOLLEYBALL DROPS THREE 2-POINT SETS IN 3-1 LOSS TO HOFSTRA
September 2, 2016 VOLLEYBALL SUFFERS FIRST LOSS OF THE YEAR, FALLS AT UNLV, 3-1
September 2, 2016 VOLLEYBALL FALLS IN 2ND ROUND OF VEGAS TOURNAMENT TO CSUN
September 1, 2016 VOLLEYBALL TAKES 3-0 RECORD TO TOURNAMENT IN VEGAS
August 29, 2016 SKALBECK NAMED THE BIG SKY’S DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
August 23, 2016 VOLLEYBALL OPENS THE 2016 SEASON THIS FRIDAY IN ARLINGTON
August 23, 2016 VOLLEYBALL’S SPAGHETTI FEED FUNDRAISER GENERATES OVER $15,000
August 18, 2016 VOLLEYBALL ALUMNI GAME AND SPAGHETTI FEED ON TAP FOR SATURDAY
May 27, 2016 VOLLEYBALL RELEASES ITS 2016 SCHEDULE