Links associated with this release:
NO. 59 WOMEN'S TENNIS FALLS TO NO. 14 STANFORD
STANFORD, Calif. - The No. 59 ranked Sacramento State women's team fought hard, but fell to the No. 14 ranked Stanford Cardinal by a score of 7-0 on Thursday, Feb. 11 at Taube Family Tennis Stadium.
With the loss, the Hornets fall to 3-2 on the season, while the Cardinal improve to 5-0. Stanford has now won 154 consecutive home matches, 124 during the regular season, since their last loss at the beginning of the 1999 season.
The Cardinal opened the match by sweeping the doubles point, earning a 1-0 lead in the match. The No. 2 ranked doubles team in the nation, Hilary Barte and Lindsay Burdette, defeated the Hornet tandem of sophomore Clarisse Baca and senior Katrina Zheltova at the No. 1 position by a margin of 8-0. Freshman Rebeca Delgado and sophomore Tatsiana Kapshai faced a similar fate at the No. 2 position, falling to Mallory Burdette and Stacey Tan by a margin of 8-3. Sophomore Maria Meliuk and senior Aileen Tsan rallied after trailing early, gaining the advantage at deuce trailing 6-5, but fell to Veronica Li and Carolyn McVeigh 8-5 in No. 3 doubles play.
Stanford went on to sweep singles play, but the Hornets kept each set within striking distance. At the No. 5 singles position, Baca took No. 78 ranked McVeigh to the limit in the first set before falling 7-5, 6-2. At No. 1 singles, No. 26 ranked Zheltova battled with No. 18 ranked Barte before dropping a 6-3, 6-4 decision. Meliuk also kept things interesting at No. 2 singles before falling to No. 16 Mallory Burdette by a final of 6-3, 6-4. Delgado held a 3-0 lead in the second set against Tan, but dropped the match to the Cardinal by a count of 6-3, 6-4, losing her first collegiate singles match in the process.
Sacramento State returns home on Fri., Feb. 12 to take on Causeway rival UC Davis. With weather expected to be a factor, the match times will differ based on court availablity. If the match is moved indoors to the Spare Time Indoor Tennis Center, the start time will move to 2:15 p.m. The match will be played at 1:30 p.m., as scheduled, if weather is not a factor and they can play outdoors at the Rio Del Oro Racquet Club.
#14 Stanford 7, #59 Sacramento State 0
Feb 11, 2010 at Stanford, Calif. (Taube Family Tennis Stadium)
1. #18 BARTE, Hilary (STAN) def. #26 ZHELTOVA, Katrina (SAC) 6-3, 6-4
2. #16 BURDETTE, Mallory (STAN) def. MELIUK, Maria (SAC) 6-3, 6-4
3. BURDETTE, Lindsay (STAN) def. KAPSHAI, Tatsiana (SAC) 6-4, 6-2
4. TAN, Stacey (STAN) def. DELGADO, Rebeca (SAC) 6-3, 6-4
5. #78 McVEIGH, Carolyn (STAN) def. BACA, Clarisse (SAC) 7-5, 6-2
6. LI, Veronica (STAN) def. TSAN, Aileen (SAC) 6-1, 6-2
1. #2 BARTE, Hilary/BURDETTE, Lindsay (STAN) def. BACA, Clarisse/ZHELTOVA, Katrina (SAC) 8-0
2. BURDETTE, Mallory/TAN, Stacey (STAN) def. DELGADO, Rebeca/KAPSHAI, Tatsiana (SAC) 8-3
3. LI, Veronica/McVEIGH, Carolyn (STAN) def. MELIUK, Maria/TSAN, Aileen (SAC) 8-5
Sacramento State 3-2; National ranking #59
Stanford 5-0; National ranking #14
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (6,3,5,1,2,4)
<< Return to Women's Tennis schedule