NO. 43 WOMEN'S TENNIS REMAINS UNDEFEATED WITH 6-1 VICTORY OVER NEVADA
GOLD RIVER, Calif. - The No. 43 ranked Sacramento State women's tennis team defeated the Nevada Wolf Pack, 6-1, on Saturday, February 14 at the Spare Time Indoor Tennis Center.
With the win, the Hornets improve to 4-0 on the season, while the Wolf Pack fall to 1-1. The match was contested indoors due to high winds and rain in the Sacramento area.
The Hornets started the match off on the right foot, sweeping the doubles matches to secure the doubles point, as well as push the team's doubles record to an impressive 11-1 on the young season. The No. 2 tandem of junior Aileen Tsan and freshman Maria Meliuk, who is the defending Big Sky Conference Player of the Week, took down the tandem of Florence De Vrye and Caroline Stevens, 8-3.
At the No. 3 doubles spot, redshirt freshman Clarisse Baca and senior Joyce Martinez Gutierrez defeated Katarina Huba and Lais Ogata, 8-4. Finally, the No. 1 duo of junior Katrina Zheltova and sophomore Melissa Valenzuela finished up the sweep with an 8-4 victory over Caroline Bailly and Maria Mizyuk.
In singles action, the Hornets took the first five matches to build a 6-0 lead before the Wolf Pack took home the final match. Senior Luba Schifris defeated Caroline Stevens at No. 4 singles, 6-0, 7-5, to start things, with Martinez Gutierrez next providing a 6-3, 6-2 victory over Aodhnait Lombard at the No. 6 position.
Meliuk remained a perfect 4-0 on the season with a 6-2, 6-4 triumph over Ogata at the No. 3 position, at Zheltova, the No. 58 ranked player in the nation, soon followed with a 6-4, 6-3 victory over Bailly at No. 1 singles.
Baca then took down Mizyuk 7-5, 7-6 at No. 5 singles, before Tsan fell in No. 2 singles action to De Vrye, 6-4, 7-6, to close out the match.
The Hornets return to action as they host the Northern Arizona Lumberjacks in Big Sky action on Sunday, February 15. First serve from Spare Time Indoor Tennis Center is set for 1 p.m.
Sacramento State 6, Nevada 1
Spare Time Indoor Tennis Center
Feb. 14, 2009
1. Katrina Zheltova (SAC) def. Caroline Bailly (NEV), 6-4, 6-3
2. Florence De Vrye (NEV) def. Aileen Tsan (SAC), 6-4, 7-6
3. Maria Meliuk (SAC) def. Lais Ogata (NEV), 6-2, 6-4
4. Luba Schifris (SAC) def. Caroline Stevens (NEV), 6-0, 7-5
5. Clarisse Baca (SAC) def. Maria Mizyuk (NEV), 7-5, 7-6 (4)
6. Joyce Martinez Gutierrez (SAC) def. Aodhnait Lombard (NEV), 6-3, 6-2
1. Zheltova/Melissa Valenzuela (SAC) def. Bailly/Mizyuk (NEV), 8-4
2. Tsan/Meliuk (SAC) def. Stevens/De Vrye (NEV), 8-3
3. Martinez/Baca (SAC) def. Ogata/Katarina Huba (NEV), 8-4