WOMEN'S TENNIS ADVANCES TO BIG SKY CHAMPIONSHIP WITH 4-0 VICTORY
GOLD RIVER, Calif. — The Sacramento State women’s tennis team picked up its first win of the 2008 Big Sky Conference Tournament with a 4-0 win over Eastern Washington, Saturday afternoon at the Gold River Racquet Club. With the win, the Hornets will play in its seventh consecutive Big Sky Championship match and will face Northern Arizona on Sunday at 10 a.m.
With the win, Sacramento State improved to 20-6 overall and won its 51st consecutive match against a Big Sky opponent dating back to 2002. The Eagles ended their season at 10-14.
Against Eastern Washington, the Hornets captured the first point of the match by winning doubles. -The tandem of Katrina Zheltova and Melissa Valenzuela won at No. 1 doubles, 8-1. The Hornets then clinched the point with an 8-3 win at No. 2 from Joyce Martine Gutierrez and Karina Jarlkaganova.
Sacramento State wasted little time winning its three singles matches. Zheltova picked up the first victory at No. 1 where she downed Kasey Knox, 6-1, 6-1. Martinez made the score 3-0 after she defeated Amanda Mankovits, 6-2, 6-0 at No. 5. The deciding point came at No. 4 where Jarlkaganova beat Marie Demerath, 6-4, 6-2.
Sunday’s matchup against Northern Arizona will mark the third time Sacramento State will play NAU in the women’s final. The Hornets have won all three matchups, including a 4-0 decision last season.
1. Katrina Zheltova (SAC) def. Kasey Knox (EWU) 6-1, 6-1
2. Anastassia Lyssenko (SAC) vs. Kerstyn Dolack (EWU) 7-5, 5-0, unfinished
3. Melissa Valenzuela (SAC) vs. Sarah Leuenberger (EWU) 2-6, 2-1, unfinished
4. Karina Jarlkaganova (SAC) def. Marie Demerath (EWU) 6-4, 6-2
5. Joyce Martinez (SAC) def. Amanda Mankovits (EWU) 6-2, 6-0
6. Aileen Tsan (SAC) vs. Rachel Berger (EWU) 6-2, 2-1, unfinished
1. Katrina Zheltova/Melissa Valenzuela (SAC) def. Kasey Knox/Amanda Mankovits (EWU) 8-1
2. Joyce Martinez/Karina Jarlkaganova (SAC) def. Sarah Leuenberger/Marie Demerath (EWU) 8-2
3. Anastassia Lyssenko/Aileen Tsan (SAC) vs. Kerstyn Dolack/Rachel Berger (EWU) 7-5, unfinished
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2); Singles (1,5,4)