WOMENâ€™S TENNIS OPENS SEASON WITH 4-3 VICTORY OVER WASHINGTON
HONOLULU - Freshman Melissa Valenzuela and juniors Anastassia Lyssenko, Karina Jarlkaganova and Joyce Martinez Gutierrez each posted singles victories to lead Sacramento State to a 4-3 victory over Washington in a non-conference women’s tennis match Saturday afternoon at the UH Tennis Complex.
Today marked the first spring dual match for both teams, as Sacramento State is currently ranked 56th in the nation and Washington is ranked 72nd. The Hornets have now defeated the Huskies three times in the last four years, each coming by 4-3 scores.
Washington began the match by picking up the doubles point, winning two of the three doubles tilts by 9-7 and 8-6 scores.
Sacramento State, however, won four of the six singles matches to claim the victory. Valenzuela, who is a true freshman from Lima, Peru, defeated Washington’s Aleksandra Malovic at No. 2 by the score of 6-2, 2-6, 6-0. Lyssenko (No. 3 - 6-0, 6-1), Jarlkaganova (No. 5 - 7-5, 6-2) and Martinez (No. 6 - 6-4, 6-1) each won in straight sets. At No. 6, Martinez trailed, 4-0, in the first set before winning 12 of the next 13 games to defeat Aleksandra Krsljanin.
The Hornets, who have won each of the last six Big Sky Conference championships and have advanced to the NCAA Tournament six consecutive years, do not play again until Saturday, Feb. 2, when the team plays its home opener against UC Santa Barbara at 1 p.m. Still a relatively young team, Sacramento State does not have a senior on this year’s squad.
No. 56 Sacramento State 4, No. 72 Washington 3
1. Venise Chan (UW) def. Katrina Zheltova (SAC), 4-6, 6-1, 6-1
2. Melissa Valenzuela (SAC) def. Aleksandra Malovic (UW), 6-2, 2-6, 6-0
3. Anastassia Lyssenko (SAC) def. Joyce Ardies (UW), 6-0, 6-1
4. Tara Simpson (UW) def. Aileen Tsan (SAC), 2-6, 6-1, 6-2
5. Karina Jarlkaganova (SAC) def. Allison Rainey (UW), 7-5, 6-2
6. Joyce Martinez Gutierrez (SAC) def. Aleksandra Krsljanin (UW), 6-4, 6-1
1. Ardies/Simpson (UW) def. Zheltova/Jarlkaganova (SAC), 9-7
2. Chan/Anonsen (UW) def. Lyssenko/Tsan (SAC), 8-6
3. Valenzuela/Martinez Gutierrez (SAC) def. Malovic/Rainey (UW), 8-6