WOMEN'S TENNIS BLANKS NORTHERN COLORADO TO EXTEND WINNING STREAK
SACRAMENTO, Calif. —The Sacramento State women’s tennis dropped just one set en route to a 7-0 win over Northern Colorado, Thursday afternoon at the Rio Del Oro Racquet Club. The win was the 38th in a row for the Hornets over Big Sky Conference competition dating back to 2002.
Sacramento State had little trouble winning the doubles point to start the match. The team of Katrina Zheltova and Luba Schifris downed Renee Nuccio and Karen Groll, 8-2, at No. 1. The Hornets clinched the point at No. 2 with an 8-1 win from Joyce Martinez Gutierrez and Karina Jarlkaganova. The No. 3 match was the tightest of the session but Aileen Tsan and Anastassia Lyssenko combined to defeat Tabatha and Tiffany Knop, 8-6.
In singles play, the bottom half of the Sacramento State lineup made quick work of the Bears. Martinez defeated Nuccio, 6-1, 6-0, at No. 4. Cecilia Helland downed Tiffany Knop, 6-2, 6-1, at No. 5, and Jarlkaganova beat Christina Shelly, 6-0, 6-1, at No. 6.
In the top half, Lyssenko defeated Groll, 6-1, 6-3, at No. 2 and Tsan downed Meredith Krystofik, 6-4, 6-1, at No. 3. The most contest match came at No. 1 where Tabatha Knop pushed Zheltova to a super tie-break. Knop won the first set, 6-4 but Zheltova evened the match with a 6-3 win in the second set. Zheltova won the match, 10-6, in the tie-break.
Sacramento State will next travel to Southern California for a pair of matches. The Hornets open the trip at Pepperdine on Sat., Mar, 24, before facing Loyola Marymount on Sun., Mar. 25.
SACRAMENTO STATE 7, NORTHERN COLORADO 0
1. Katrina Zheltova (SAC) def. Tabatha Knop, 4-6, 6-3, 10-6
2. Anastassia Lyssenko (SAC) def. Karen Groll, 6-1, 6-3
3. Aileen Tsan (SAC) def. Meredith Krystofik, 6-4, 6-1
4. Joyce Martinez Gutierrez (SAC) def. Renee Nuccio, 6-1, 6-0
5. Cecilia Helland (SAC) def. Tiffany Knop, 6-2, 6-1
6. Karina Jarlkaganova (SAC) def. Christina Shelly, 6-0, 6-1
1. Zheltova/Luba Schifris (SAC) def. Nuccio/Groll, 8-2
2. Martinez Gutierrez/Jarlkaganova (SAC) def. Krystofik/Shelly, 8-1
3. Tsan/Lyssenko (SAC) def. Knop/Knop, 8-6