WOMEN'S TENNIS SWEEPS UC DAVIS, 7-0
DAVIS, Calif. — The Sacramento State women’s tennis team picked up its second sweep of the day with a 7-0 win over UC Davis, Saturday afternoon at the Marya Welch Tennis Center. The Hornets moved to 5-2 on the season while the Aggies fell to 5-4.
Sacramento State, which had already defeated Montana State, 7-0, on Saturday morning, opened the match with three easy wins in the doubles matches. The No. 1 team of Luba Schifris and Joyce Martinez Gutierrez blanked Jenna Kappel and Robin Guier, 8-0. Aileen Tsan and Anastassia Lysseenko combined for an 8-1 win at No. 3 over Yuka Otaka and Andrea Phillips to secure the doubles point. The Hornets capped the sweep at No. 2 with an 8-3 win by Katrina Zheltova and Cecilia Helland.
In singles play, Zheltova extended her winning streak to six straight matches with a 6-1, 6-0, victory over Desiree Stone at No. 1. Lyssenko defeated Guier, 6-4, 6-0, at No. 2 and Martinez clinched the match for the Hornets with a 6-1, 6-4, win over Kappel at No. 4.
Sacramento State also received singles victories from Helland at No. 5 (6-2, 6-1 against Phillips), Karina Jarlkaganova at No. 6 (6-0, 6-3), and Tsan at No. 3.
The Hornets will next be in action on Feb. 24 as they travel to San Diego.
The victory over the Aggies also gave Sacramento State five points in the Causeway Cup.However, UC Davis still holds a 36.67-30.00 lead in this year’s competition.
Sacramento State 7, UC Davis 0
1. Katrina Zheltova (SAC) def. Desiree Stone, 6-1, 6-0
2. Anastassia Lyssenko (SAC) def. Robin Guier, 6-4, 6-0
3. Aileen Tsan (SAC), score not available
4. Joyce Martinez Gutierrez (SAC) def. Jenna Kappel, 6-1, 6-4
5. Cecilia Helland (SAC) def. Andrea Phillips, 6-2, 6-1
6. Karina Jarlkaganova (SAC) def. Emma Shapiro, 6-0, 6-3
1. Luba Schifris/Martinez Gutierrez (SAC) def. Kappel/Guier, 8-0
2. Zheltova/Helland (SAC) def. Shapiro/Athavale, 8-2
3. Tsan/Lyssenko (SAC) def. Otaka/Phillips, 8-1