SACRAMENTO, Calif. --- The 49th-ranked Sacramento State women''s tennis team suffered a 6-1 loss to 59th-ranked New Mexico, Wednesday afternoon at Rio Del Oro Racquet Club.
The Lobos took a quick 1-0 lead after winning two of the three doubles points. The team of Iva Gersic and Maja Kovacek, who are ranked second in Div. I, defeated Margarita Karnaukhova and Antastassia Lyssenko, 8-4, in the No. 1 match. The Hornets tied the match at No. 2 where Joyce Martinez Gutierrez and Luba Schifris downed Lucy Scott and Ola Abou-Zekry, 8-2. The swing point came at No. 3 where Nora Quintal and Jennifer Ryba beat Cecilia Helland and Svetlana Pimenova, 8-5.
In singles play, the Lobos won the first five matches in the ladder. Gersic defeated Karnaukhova, 1-6, 7-5 (10-6) at No. 1. Kovacek claimed a 6-3, 6-4, win over Schifris at No. 2. Quintal notched a 6-2, 7-6, win at No. 3 over Martinez. At No. 4, Scott defeated Karina Jarlkoaganova, 6-0, 5-7, 7-5. The final point for New Mexico came at No. 5 where Abou-Zekry beat Helland, 6-3, 6-1.
The one point for Sacramento State came at No. 6 where Pimenova defeated Ryba, 7-6, 6-1.
The win halted the Hornets'' five-match win streak. It also evened the series between the two schools over the last two years. Last season, Sacramento State recorded a 4-3 win at New Mexico.
The Hornets return to action on Friday as they travel to Rice.
NO. 59 NEW MEXICO 6, NO. 49 SACRAMENTO STATE 1
1. No. 2 Kovacek/Gersic (UNM) def. Lyssenko/Karnaukhova (SAC) 8-4
2. Martinez/Schifris (SAC) def. Scott/Abou-Zekry (UNM) 8-2
3. Quintal/Ryba (UNM) def. Helland/Pimenova (SAC) 8-5
1. Iva Gersic (UNM) def. Margarita Karnaukhova (SAC) 1-6, 7-5 (10-6)
2. Maja Kovacek (UNM) def. Luba Schifris (SAC) 6-3, 6-4
3. Nora Quintal (UNM) def. Joyce Martinez Gutierrez (SAC) 6-2, 7-6
4. Lucy Scott (UNM) def. Karina Jarlkaganova (SAC) 6-0, 5-7, 7-5
5. Ola Abou-Zekry (UNM) def. Cecilia Helland (SAC) 6-3, 6-1
6. Svetlana Pimenova (SAC) Jennifer Ryba (UNM) 7-6, 6-1