WOMEN'S TENNIS DEFEATS UC DAVIS, 6-1
DAVIS, Calif. — Nearly back to full strength, the Sacramento State women’s tennis team cruised past UC Davis, 6-1, on Friday at the Marya Welch Tennis Center. The Hornets, who are currently ranked 49th nationally, improved to 16-8 while the Aggies dropped to 11-11.
Sacramento State has battled through a rash of injuries over the last four weeks but has now won four consecutive matches and seven straight against non-Pac-10 opponents. The victory on Friday also gave the Hornets five points in the Causeway Cup battle against UC Davis. Coupled with the men’s team 6-1 win over UCD, the Hornets now have a 51.67-43.33 lead over the Aggies in the annual all-sports competition.
On Friday, Sacramento State jumped to a 1-0 lead by winning the first two doubles matches. The No. 1 team of Melissa Valenzuela and Katrina Zheltova defeated Randi Schuler and Desiree Stone, 8-2 and Maria Meliuk and Aileen Tsan teamed for an 8-3 win at No. 3 to assure the point.
All six singles matches were decided in straight sets with five going in favor of the Green and Gold. The final three spots in the ladder were dominated by Sacramento State as the Hornets won 36 of the 45 games. Clarisse Baca defeated Jenna Kappel, 6-1, 6-1, at No. 4. Joyce Martinez Gutierrez bettered Jessica Harris, 6-3, 6-1, at No. 5 and Tsan topped Emma Shapiro, 6-0, 6-3 at No. 6.
The Hornets also won two of the three matches in the top half of the ladder. Zheltova knocked off Dahra Zamidio, 6-3, 7-6 (4) at No. 1 to win her fourth consecutive match. Luba Schifris also added a 6-2, 6-3, win over Herzyl Legaspi at No. 3.
The team’s lone loss came at No. 2 where Stone beat Valenzuela, 6-4, 7-6 (5).
Sacramento State will have a short rest before returning to the courts on Saturday as the team will host Pacific at Rio Del Oro Raquet Club at 1 p.m.
No. 49 Sacramento State 6, UC Davis 1
April 10, 2009
Davis, Calif. (Marya Welch Tennis Center)
1. Katrina Zheltova (SAC) d. Dahra Zamudio (UCD), 6-3, 7-6 (4).
2. Desiree Stone (UCD) d. Melissa Valenzuela (SAC), 6-4, 7-6 (5).
3. Luba Schifris (SAC) d. Herzyl Legaspi (UCD), 6-2, 6-3.
4. Clarisse Baca (SAC) d. Jenna Kappel (UCD), 6-1, 6-1.
5. Joyce Gutierrez (SAC) d. Jessica Harris (UCD), 6-3, 6-1.
6. Aileen Tsan (SAC) d. Emma Shapiro (UCD), 6-0, 6-3.
1. Valenzuela/Zheltova (SAC) d. Randi Schuler /Stone (UCD), 8-2.
2. Legaspi/Zamudio (UCD) d. Baca/Gutierrez (SAC), 7-6 (6).
3. Maria Meliuk/ Tsan (SAC) d. Kappel/ Andrea Phillips (UCD), 8-3.