NO. 34 WOMEN'S TENNIS TAKES CARE OF NORTHERN COLORADO 7-0
GOLD RIVER, Calif. - The No. 34 ranked Sacramento State women's tennis team extended its conference win streak to 56 matches with a 7-0 triumph over Northern Colorado on Monday, March 16 at Rio Del Oro Racquet Club.
With the win, the Hornets improved to 10-5 overall, 4-0 in Big Sky Conference play, while the Bears fell to
4-8, 3-2 inside the Big Sky.
The Hornets rebounded from a loss to No. 37 Fresno State on Sunday to defeat the Bears in all nine matches contested, and did not lose a set in the process.
In doubles action, the Hornets took the first two matches to finish in short order, with redshirt freshman Clarisse Baca and senior Joyce Martinez Gutierrez posting an 8-0 victory at the No. 2 position and freshman Maria Meliuk and junior Aileen Tsan teaming up for an 8-2 victory at No. 3 doubles. The No. 1 matchup of Hornet sophomore Melissa Valenzuela and senior Luba Schifris and the Bears combination of Tabatha Knop and Manuela Santos went down to the wire, with the Hornet duo edging out an 8-6 win to complete the doubles sweep.
In singles play, the Hornets played without Tsan, who had been playing the No. 1 position recently, with everyone moving a peg up in the order. Schifris posted her first victory of the season at No. 2 singles to start play, winning 6-3, 6-1 over Santos. Martinez Gutierrez followed that up with a 6-1, 6-0 victory at the No. 5 position, improving her mark to 3-0 in that part of the lineup this season. Next, Meliuk improved to 2-0 at the No. 1 position with a 6-3, 6-1 victory over Tabatha Knop, cementing the victory for the Hornets.
In the final three matches to finish, Baca took down Tiffany Knop at No. 3 singles, 6-3, 7-5, Valenzuela defeated Jill Kappel at No. 4 singles 6-3, 6-2, and sophomore Milica Zivanovic had no trouble with Luiza Xavier at No. 6 singles, winning 6-1, 6-1.
The Hornets travel to the Pacific Northwest next to take on both Portland and Portland State on Saturday, March 21. The Hornets will take on the conference rival Vikings at 9 a.m. before facing the Pilots later in the afternoon.
#34 Sacramento State 7, Northern Colorado 0
Mar 16, 2009 at Gold River, Calif. (Rio Del Oro Racquet Club)
1. MELIUK, Maria (SAC) def. KNOP, Tabatha (UNC) 6-3, 6-1
2. SCHIFRIS, Luba (SAC) def. SANTOS, Manuela (UNC) 6-3, 6-1
3. BACA, Clarisse (SAC) def. KNOP, Tiffany (UNC) 6-3, 7-5
4. VALENZUELA, Melissa (SAC) def. KAPPEL, Jill (UNC) 6-3, 6-2
5. MARTINEZ, Joyce (SAC) def. CIARVELLA, Jodi (UNC) 6-1, 6-0
6. ZIVANOVIC, Milica (SAC) def. XAVIER, Luiza (UNC) 6-1, 6-1
1. SCHIFRIS, Luba/VALENZUELA, Melissa (SAC) def. KNOP, Tabatha/SANTOS, Manuela (UNC) 8-6
2. BACA, Clarisse/MARTINEZ, Joyce (SAC) def. CIARVELLA, Jodi/KNOP, Tiffany (UNC) 8-0
3. MELIUK, Maria/TSAN, Aileen (SAC) def. KAPPEL, Jill/WHATELEY, Jennifer (UNC) 8-2
Northern Colorado 4-8 (3-2 BSC)
Sacramento State 10-5 (4-0 BSC); National ranking #34
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (2,5,1,3,4,6)