NO. 32 RANKED WOMEN'S TENNIS UPSET BY NO. 62 OREGON
EUGENE, Ore. - The No. 32 ranked Sacramento State women's tennis team fell 4-3 to No. 62 ranked Oregon on Sunday, March 9 at the Student Tennis Center.
With the loss, the Hornets drop to 11-2 on the campaign, while the Ducks improve to 7-7.
Sacramento State started things off on the right foot, winning the doubles point with two match victories. After falling in the first doubles match to finish, the Hornets rallied to win at the No. 3 and No. 1 positions to stake claim to the point. Sophomore Aileen Tsan and junior Anastassia Lyssenko defeated Stephanie Macfarlane and Ana Cecilia Olivos in a close encounter, 9-7, at No. 3 doubles. That same score, 9-7, was also the margin of victory at No. 1 doubles, as sophomore Katrina Zheltova and freshman Melissa Valenzuela defeated Celine Rolly and Anna Powaska.
Momentum continued into the start of singles play for the Hornets, as junior Karina Jarlkaganova won the first match to finish, No. 5 singles, over Macfarlane, 6-4, 6-0. After Valenzuela was forced to retire in the second set of her match at No. 2 singles, the Hornets extended their lead to 3-1, as junior Luba Schifris took down Olivos at No. 4 singles, 7-5, 6-4.
From there, however, Oregon rallied to win the final three matches to finish, posting the 4-3 comeback victory. Sacramento State had a rare occurrence, in that each Hornet won one match, and lost one match that they competed in. The doubles winners (Lyssenko, Tsan, Valenzuela and Zheltova) each fell in singles play, while the lone tandem to lose in doubles play (Jarlkaganova and Schifris) recorded singles victories.
The Hornets take the next 10 days away from competition before facing their toughest home test so far this season, as they host the undefeated and No. 24 ranked University of Denver on March 20. First serve is scheduled for 1:30 p.m. at the Rio Del Oro Racquet Club.
#62 Oregon 4, #32 Sacramento State 3
3/9/2008 at Eugene, Ore. (Student Tennis Center)
1. Celine Rolly (ORE) def. #57 Katrina Zheltova (SAC) 6-4, 7-6
2. Carmen Seremeta (ORE) def. Melissa Valenzuela (SAC) 6-2, 3-0, retired
3. Anna Powaska (ORE) def. Anastassia Lyssenko (SAC) 6-2, 5-7, 6-2
4. Luba Schifris (SAC) def. Ana Cecilia Olivos (ORE) 7-5, 6-4
5. Karina Jarlkaganova (SAC) def. Stephanie Macfarlane (ORE) 6-4, 6-0
6. Claudia Hirt (ORE) def. Aileen Tsan (SAC) 7-6, 0-6, 6-2
1. Melissa Valenzuela/Katrina Zheltova (SAC) def. Celine Rolly/Anna Powaska (ORE) 9-7
2. Carmen Seremeta/Claudia Hirt (ORE) def. Luba Schifris/Karina Jarlkaganova (SAC) 8-2
3. Aileen Tsan/Anastassia Lyssenko (SAC) def. Stephanie Macfarlane/Ana Cecilia Olivos (ORE) 9-7
Sacramento State 11-2; National ranking #32
Oregon 7-7; National ranking #62
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (5,2,4,1,6,3)