OGDEN, Utah -- The Sacramento State women's tennis team had its season come to a close with a 4-1 loss to Northern Arizona in the final round of the Big Sky Pacific Regionals Saturday afternoon in Ogden, Utah.
The Hornets, who finished the regional with a 1-3 record, did not record enough victories to advance to the Big Sky Championships, which are being held April 20-22 in Sacramento. Weber State, Cal State Northridge and Northern Arizona each advanced to the championships while Sacramento State and Portland State were eliminated. The Wildcats receive the No. 1 seed for the championships followed by the Matadors (No. 2) and the Lumberjacks (No. 3).
Sophomore Marta Gronowicz was the lone Hornet to pick up a win in singles play, defeating Sylvana Navarro, 6-1, 6-2. Yvonne DeWaal, Susanna Wallin and Karen Kmiec were each victorious for the Lumberjacks. Northern Arizona won two of the three doubles matches to pick up the doubles point. The Nos. 5-6 singles matches were not played because Weber State already had the necessary four points for the victory.
Despite the loss, the Hornets finished the season with an 11-10 verall record, tying their best mark in Div. I history originally set by the 1992 squad.
The Hornets' top three singles players each finished with above-.500 records as junior Gabriella Lundqvist (No. 1) went 13-8, Gronowicz (No. 2) went 15-6 and senior Caroline Svensson (No. 3) finished 16-3.
Although Sacramento State's season is over, six members of the team will compete as individuals two weeks from now at the Ojai Tournament (April 26-29).
NORTHERN ARIZONA 4, SACRAMENTO STATE 1
1. Gabriella Lundqvist def. by Yvonne DeWaal, 6-0, 6-2
2. Marta Gronowicz def. Sylvana Navarro, 6-1, 6-2
3. Caroline Svensson def. by Susanna Wallin, 6-2, 6-1
4. Janice Mota def. by Karen Kmiec, 6-2, 6-0
5. Laila Karim vs. Kathy Kmiec, DNF
6. Italina Kirknis vs. Michelle Mohr, DNP
1. Gronowicz/Mota def. Navarro/Kathy Kmiec, 8-3
2. Lundqvist/Svensson def. by DeWaal/Karen Kmiec, 8-4
3. Karim/Kirknis def. by Wallin/Mohr, 8-4