OGDEN, Utah -- The Sacramento State women's tennis team lost to Cal State Northridge, 5-2, in the third round of the Big Sky Pacific Regionals Friday afternoon in Ogden, Utah.
The Hornets, who defeated Portland State, 7-0, and lost to Weber State, 6-1, in the first two rounds, dropped their record to 11-9 overall. Competing in the Pacific Regionals are Sacramento State, Portland State, Cal State Northridge, Northern Arizona and Weber State. The top three teams from that group advance to the Big Sky Championships which take place April 20-22 at the Rio Del Oro Racquet Club in Sacramento.
Gabriella Lundqvist and Caroline Svensson each picked up wins for Sacramento State in singles play. Lundqvist downed Marina Baydak, 4-6, 6-3, 6-3, at No. 1 to improve to 16-4 on the season. Svensson topped Tia Kaasalainen, 6-4, 7-6 to earn the team's other point.
The Matadors captured all three doubles matches to take the point.
The Hornets wrap up regional play on Saturday against Northern Arizona. The winner of that match will claim the third berth to the Big Sky Championships.
CAL STATE NORTHRIDGE 5, SACRAMENTO STATE 2
1. Gabriella Lundqvist def. Marina Baydak, 4-6, 6-3, 6-4
2. Marta Gronowicz def. by Treza Simonyan, 6-4, 6-2
3. Caroline Svensson def. Tia Kaasalainen, 6-4, 7-6 (8-4)
4. Janice Mota def. by Aani Setiawati, 6-3, 7-5
5. Laila Karim def. by Shaheen Bhanji, 6-3, 6-3
6. Italina Kirknis def. by Kendra Segura, 6-1, 6-2
1. Gronowicz/Mota def. by Baydak/Bhanji, 8-4
2. Lundqvist/Svensson def. by Siminyan/Gabriella Reiner, 8-3
3. Karim/Kirknis def. by Kaasalainen/Setiawati, 8-1