WOMEN'S TENNIS ADVANCES TO BIG SKY FINALS WITH SWEEP OF UNC
Clarrise Baca was victorious in both singles and doubles in the Big Sky semifinal.
GOLD RIVER, Calif. — The Sacramento State women's tennis team moved one step closer to its 11th consecutive Big Sky Conference title with a 4-0 win over Northern Colorado on Saturday at Gold River Racquet Club.
The 52nd-ranked Hornets improved to 16-9 overall while winning their 91st consecutive match against a conference opponent. Northern Colorado ended its season at 9-9.
Sacramento State took a 1-0 lead after winning a pair of doubles matches. The tandem of Tatsiana Kapsahi and Rebeca Delgado struck first with an 8-2 win at No. 1. Clarisse Baca and Maria Meliuk followed with an 8-1 win at No. 2 to clinch the doubles point.
In singles play, Baca blanked Elizabeth Tapia, 6-0, 6-0, at No. 3. Kapshai added a 6-1, 6-1, win over Jennifer Whateley at No. 1 before Meliuk closed the match with a 6-3, 6-2, victory over Jennifer Buchanan at No. 5.
The Hornets will meet Montana in the finals on Sunday at 10 a.m. The Griz outlasted Northern Arizona, 4-2, in a match which took nearly four hours to complete.
Tennis Match Results
Northern Colorado vs Sacramento State
Apr 21, 2012 at Gold River, Calif.
(Gold River Racquet Club)
#52 Sacramento State 4, Northern Colorado 0
1. KAPSHAI, Tatsiana (SACW) def. WHATELEY, Jennifer (NC) 6-1, 6-1
2. DELGADO, Rebeca (SACW) vs. NIETO, Adriana (NC) unfinished
3. BACA, Clarisse (SACW) def. TAPIA, Elizabeth (NC) 6-0, 6-0
4. LOHSCHEIDT, Sophie (SACW) vs. CATLIN, Stephanie (NC) unfinished
5. MELIUK, Maria (SACW) def. BUCHANAN, Jennifer (NC) 6-3, 6-2
6. GOMEZ CARUS, Andrea (SACW) vs. HOOLAHAN, Chrissie (NC) unfinished
1. KAPSHAI, Tatsiana/DELGADO, Rebeca (SACW) def. CATLIN, Stephanie/TAPIA, Elizabeth (NC) 8-2
2. BACA, Clarisse/MELIUK, Maria (SACW) def. NIETO, Adriana/WHATELEY, Jennifer (NC) 8-1
3. KNOEBL, Katharina/LOHSCHEIDT, Sophie (SACW) vs. BUCHANAN, Jennifer/HOOLAHAN, Chrissie (NC) unfinished
Northern Colorado 9-9
Sacramento State 16-9; National ranking #52
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2); Singles (3,1,5)