With the win, Sacramento State improved to 3-8 overall and 3-2 in the Big Sky. For Montana, the loss was their first against a Big Sky opponent as they fell to 3-11 overall and 3-1 in league play.
For the second straight match, it was senior captain Sofi Wicker who clinched the match for Sacramento State.
With the match even, 3-3, Wicker took the first set from her opponent, Montana's Lidia Dukic, 6-1. Dukic bounced back to take the second set from Wicker, 6-4, before the Hornets' captain railed for a win in the third set, 7-5.
The win clinched the match, 4-3, for Sacramento State, giving the team its third straight win.
Jayden Nielsen, playing her first match at the No. 2 position, kept her perfect conference singles record alive with a hard-fought 7-6 (6), 6-3 win. The freshman is now a perfect 5-0 in Big Sky singles play and leads the Hornets with 7 total singles wins this season.
Jenna Dorian also kept her perfect conference singles record alive, also improving to 5-0, with a win in straight sets, 7-5, 6-2, at the No. 4 position.
Frana Ugarkovic came up big for the Hornets Sunday, picking up her first Big Sky singles win of the season at the No. 6 position, also in straight sets, 7-5, 6-4.
None of the wins came easy on Sunday for the Hornets. Despite winning mutiple matches in straight sets, all were battles, with mutliple going to a seventh point or tiebreaker.
After three straight wins - all at home - Sacramento State will head back out on the road for a Friday doubleheader. The Hornets will take on the Nevada Wolfpack at Nevada on Friday, March 29. Later that day, they will face Sonoma State, also at Nevada.
For more information on Friday's matches and all upcoming Sacramento State women's tennis matches, be sure to visit the 2019 schedule at HornetSports.com.
Sacramento State 4, Montana 3
Mar 24, 2019 at Sacramento, Calif. (Sacramento State Tennis Courts)
1. RONNEY, Julia (UM) def. GONZALEZ, Maria (SAC) 6-2, 6-3
2. NIELSEN, Jayden (SAC) def. DUNLAP, Lauren (UM) 7-6 (8-6), 6-3
3. BOSTROM, Bianca (UM) def. CHERNYETSKY, C. (SAC) 6-7 (3-7), 6-2, 6-3
4. DORIAN, Jenna (SAC) def. JOANLANNE, Nathalie (UM) 7-5, 6-2
5. WICKER, Sofi (SAC) def. DUKIC, Lidia (UM) 6-1, 4-6, 7-5
6. UGARKOVIC, Frana (SAC) def. WALKER, Alex (UM) 7-5, 6-4
1. BOSTROM, Bianca/RONNEY, Julia (UM) def. DORIAN, Jenna/NIELSEN, Jayden (SAC) 7-5
2. DUKIC, Lidia/DUNLAP, Lauren (UM) def. GONZALEZ, Maria/WICKER, Sofi (SAC) 6-4
3. CHERNYETSKY, C./UGARKOVIC, Frana (SAC) def. JOANLANNE, Nathalie/WALKER, Alex (UM) 6-4
Montana 3-11 (3-1 Big Sky)
Sacramento State 3-8 (3-2 Big Sky)
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (1,4,2,6,3,5)