POCATELLO, Idaho – Playing their third match in as many days, the Sacramento State women's tennis team came away with their third straight 4-3 victory, this time against Big Sky Conference opponent Idaho State.
The Hornets (10-11, 8-2 BSC) and Bengals (8-11, 5-4 BSC) played a grueling five-hour match Sunday, one in which Sacramento State never led by more than one.
"That match was by far the hardest fought match of the year," said head coach Cami Hubbs. "We're very happy to end our weekend trip with our third 4-3 win!"
The one match that took center stage Sunday was a thrilling, three-set battle between number ones as Ana Loaiza Esquivias battled back from down 1-0 to win her match against Hristina Cvetkovic, 1-6, 6-1, 7-5.
"We couldn't have asked for any more form our senior," Hubbs said of Loaiza Esquivias. "Her comeback was one only a seasoned player could make."
The win at the number one singles spot went a long way in turning the tide of the match to the Hornets favor. Sacramento State, who won the doubles point to take an early 1-0 lead, struggled early in singles play as an aggressive ISU team answered back with two straight singles wins.
"After the doubles point, ISU came out swinging and we went down in a lot of matches," added Hubbs. "For Ana to put her singles point on the board was huge. It got us the match today."
After Ana put the Hornets up 3-2, Idaho State again rallied for a point, taking the number five singles match to even the score at three.
For the fifth time this season, the match came down to a Sacramento State freshman playing in the deciding match. Shamika Dhar, who already had one match-clinching win this season, went to three sets in the number six position before defeating her opponent, 6-4, 5-7, 6-3 and securing the team win.
Sunday's marathon victory is Sacramento State's third 4-3 win in the last three days as they have played at Southern Utah, Weber State, and Idaho State since Friday. The team traveled over 1100 miles in three days.
They'll make another trip back home before making the short drive down to UC Davis for their next match. The Hornets and Aggies will face off next Saturday, April 21. The match is scheduled to begin at 10:00 am PDT.
Sacramento State vs Idaho State University
Apr 15, 2018 at Pocatello, ID
Sacramento State 4, Idaho State University 3
- Ana Loaiza Esquivias (SAC) def. Hristina Cvetkovic (ISU) 1-6, 6-1, 7-5
- Huibre-Mare Botes (ISU) def. Maria Gonzalez (SAC) 6-0, 6-0
- Louise-Mare Botes (ISU) def. Sofi Wicker (SAC) 6-0, 6-1
- Jenna Dorian (SAC) def. Melissa Coburn (ISU) 7-6 (6-4), 6-2
- Megan Poe (ISU) def. Carolina Chernyetsky (SAC) 6-4, 6-3
- Shamika Dhar (SAC) def. Angela Walker (ISU) 6-4, 5-7, 6-3
- Carolina Chernyetsky/Jenna Dorian (SAC) def. Hristina Cvetkovic/Megan Poe (ISU) 6-3
- Huibre-Mare Botes/Louise-Mare Botes (ISU) def. Maria Gonzalez/Shamika Dhar (SAC) 6-3
- Sofi Wicker/Ana Loaiza Esquivias (SAC) def. Madison Fenske/Melissa Coburn (ISU) 6-4
Sacramento State 10-11
Idaho State University 8-11
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (2,3,4,1,5,6)