TUCSON, Ariz. — Rebeca Delgado and Sophie Lohscheidt won at No. 1 doubles but the No. 58 ranked Sacramento State women's tennis team dropped a 7-0 decision to No. 20 ranked Texas Tech on Sunday morning at the University of Arizona's LaNelle Robson Tennis Center.
The Hornets (0-2) are winless after opening up their 2013 season against two top-30 opponents while the Red Raiders improved to 4-1 after beating both the Hornets and the host Wildcats over the weekend.
Sacramento State's lone win of the match came at No. 1 doubles, where Delgado and Lohschedit prevailed, 8-5, over Texas Tech's Samantha Adams and Kenna Kilgo. Adams is ranked No. 49 in the nation in singles play but her and Kilgo are not ranked in doubles.
Texas Tech's No. 2 doubles team, however, is ranked No. 33 in the nation and that tandem of Rashimi Teltumbde and Nikki Sanders won narrowly, 8-7 (8-6), over Sacramento State junior Katharina Knoebl and freshman Jennifer Nguyen.
Knoebl had the best success in singles play, taking her match to three sets before falling at No. 3.
Up next for the Hornets is a road doubleheader on Feb. 8. Sacramento State will play Washington State in the morning and Big Sky Conference foe Eastern Washington in the evening.
#20 Texas Tech 7, #58 Sacramento State 0
(LaNelle Robson Tennis Center)
1. #49 ADAMS, Samantha (TTECH) def. DELGADO, Rebeca (SACW) 6-0, 6-4
2. TELTUMBDE, Rashmi (TTECH) def. LOHSCHEIDT, Sophie (SACW) 6-2, 6-2
3. KILGO, Kenna (TTECH) def. KNOEBL, Katharina (SACW) 4-6, 7-6, 10-8
4. DYNKA, Sandra (TTECH) def. NGUYEN, Jennifer (SACW) 6-4, 6-1
5. SANDERS, Nikki (TTECH) def. RYAN-BOVEY, Siobhan (SACW) 6-1, 6-0
6. STARCK, Caroline (TTECH) def. ANGERER, Saskia (SACW) 6-3, 6-1
1. DELGADO, Rebeca/LOHSCHEIDT, Sophie (SACW) def. ADAMS, Samantha/KILGO, Kenna (TTECH) 8-5
2. #33 TELTUMBDE, Rashmi/SANDERS, Nikki (TTECH) def. KNOEBL, Katharina/NGUYEN, Jennifer (SACW) 8-7
3. ULLATHORNE, Liz/STARCK, Caroline (TTECH) def. ANGERER, Saskia/GOMEZ CARUS, Andrea (SACW) 8-2
Sacramento State 0-2; National ranking #58
Texas Tech 4-1; National ranking #20
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (5,6,1,2,4,3)