FRESNO, Calif. — Despite battling to three sets in three different singles matches, the No. 62 ranked Sacramento State women's tennis team lost, 6-1, on Friday afternoon to No. 53 ranked Fresno State in a non-conference dual match at the Spalding G. Wathen Tennis Center.
The Hornets (1-4) have lost all four of their non-conference matches so far this season to nationally ranked opponents. Sacramento State's lone win was a sweep at Big Sky Conference foe Eastern Washington, continuing the Hornets' ridiculous 93-match winning streak over league opponents.
On Friday afternoon, however, the Hornets couldn't find that magic against Fresno State.
The Bulldogs claimed the doubles point with wins at No. 2 and No. 3. Sacramento State's tandem of Rebeca Delgado and Sophie Lohscheidt won 8-4 at No. 1 doubles over Fresno State's nationally ranked pair of Bianca Modoc and Aishwarya Agrawal.
In singles play the Hornets lost in three sets at No. 1 and No. 3 singles but won in three at No. 4 singles. Freshman Jennifer Nguyen, one of two rookies in the top six for the Hornets, defeated Modoc 6-1, 1-6, 6-2 at No. 4. It was Sacramento State's only win in singles play.
The Hornets will be back in action next Friday at California on March 1.
#53 Fresno State 6, #62 Sacramento State 1
(Spalding G. Wathen Tennis Center)
1. Rana Sherif Ahmed (FS) def. DELGADO, Rebeca (SACW) 6-7 (4-7), 6-4, 1-0 (10-5)
2. Aishwarya Agrawal (FS) def. LOHSCHEIDT, Sophie (SACW) 6-4, 6-4
3. Melissa McQueen (FS) def. KNOEBL, Katharina (SACW) 6-2, 3-6, 1-0 (10-6)
4. NGUYEN, Jennifer (SACW) def. Bianca Modoc (FS) 6-1, 1-6, 6-2
5. Sophie Watts (FS) def. BOIJA, Olivia (SACW) 6-1, 7-5
6. Anneka Watts (FS) def. GOMEZ CARUS, Andrea (SACW) 6-1, 6-0
1. DELGADO, Rebeca/LOHSCHEIDT, Sophie (SACW) def. #53 Bianca Modoc/Aishwarya Agrawal (FS) 8-4
2. Melissa McQueen/Rana Sherif Ahmed (FS) def. KNOEBL, Katharina/NGUYEN, Jennifer (SACW) 8-4
3. Olga Kirpicheva/Anne Susdorf (FS) def. BOIJA, Olivia/ANGERER, Saskia (SACW) 8-5
Sacramento State 1-4; National ranking #62
Fresno State 4-4; National ranking #53
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (6,5,2,4,3,1)