Complete Version (PDF)
• The Sacramento State gymnastics team will face a pair of top 20 opponents when it travels to Stanford, Calif., to face the 12th-ranked Cardinal as well as No. 19 Arizona on Sunday, Jan. 19, at 2 p.m.
• Live stats will be available through the Stanford athletics web site (gostanford.com). There will not be a video stream of this meet and admission is free.
• Sacramento State enters the meet with a 2-4 overall record after placing third at Arizona State and against San Jose State. The Hornets scored 192.225 compared to a 194.200 from SJSU and a 193.625 from then-No. 25 Arizona State.
• Stanford is 5-0 following wins at the NorCal Classic and against No. 8 Georgia. The Cardinal defeated the Gym Dogs 196.325-196.150 this past weekend at Stanford. Taylor Rice won the all-round (39.325) and floor (9.900) to lead the team.
• Arizona began its season with a 194.750-190.000 win at Illinois-Chicago on Jan. 11. Jordan Williams won the all-around for the Wildcats with a total of 39.225. Williams was also first on beam while Kristin Klarenbach had the top score on vault and floor.
HORNETS PLACE THIRD AT ARIZONA STATE
• Junior Kalliah McCartney tied her career high of 9.875 to win vault, tied for first on beam and was second in the all-around to lead Sacramento State in the meet. McCartney's vault total marked the third time in her career that she's scored 9.875 which ranks 10th in school history.
• The Hornets got off to a tough start on floor in the meet, scoring 47.975. Kailey Hansen, who scored 9.825 in the opening week of the season, fell during her opening pass and was unable to complete her routine. Hansen later returned to action on both vault and beam.
• Sacramento State was forced to count a fall on bars resulting in a 47.325. The team ended the meet on beam where it totaled 48.050.
IN THE VAULT
Although its only been two meets, Sacramento State appears to have one of its strongest vault lineups in recent memory. The Hornets are averaging 48.775 on vault which places the team 27th in the national rankings and leads the MPSF. Consistency has been a large factor in the team's success. At Arizona State, Katie Osaki, Julia Konner, Tina Necas and Kailey Hansen each scored 9.750 before McCartney contributed her 9.875. Freshman Emily Bolton received a career high 9.675 in the meet as well.
In the opening contest, the Hornets totaled 48.675 on vault led by a 9.800 from Hansen. McCartney and Konner were close behind at 9.750 and Osaki scored 9.700.
TRYING TO GET ON THE SAME PAGE
Sacramento State's two returning regional qualifiers have to yet to combine their powers in the same meet this season. Hansen and McCartney have combined to win four event titles this season but both have also had some early season adversity. At the NorCal Classic, Hansen shined by tying for first on beam (9.850), placing fourth on vault (9.800) and fifth on floor (9.850). That effort propelled her to MPSF Gymnast of the Week honors. McCartney matched Hansen for a share of the beam title and scored 9.750 on vault but also fell on bars and did not compete on floor.
At Arizona State, McCartney won vault outright and tied for first on beam. She also competed in the all-around for the first time this season where she was second. Hansen fell on both floor and beam and tied for seventh on vault with a 9.750.
NEWS & NOTES
Seventeen of the 19 Hornets on the roster have at least competed an exhibition routine this season…the lone exceptions are sophomore Cassie Benning and freshman Megan Kyle who are both injured…the Hornets have not faced Arizona since 2002…Sacramento State has used the same lineup on vault, bars and beam in the first two meets.
Sacramento State added a new member to the injury list this week as sophomore Alyssa Anderson will not compete at Stanford due to a hernia. Freshman Megan Kyle remains out of the lineup with Tommy John surgery and is expected to redshirt during 2014. Junior Kayla Wonderly and sophomore Cassie Benning are both coming off Tommy John procedures in the last year but are expected to fight for spots in the lineup.
|1. Katie Osaki||1. Brennan Bailes||1. Kayla Wonderly||1. Katie Osaki|
|2. Emily Bolton||2. Ashley Wooff||2. Dallas Smith||2. Julia Konner|
|3. Julia Konner||3. Jesse Williams||3. Anneke Klaver
||3. Kaila Kilwein|
|4. Tina Necas||4. Paige Bottano||4. Elideth Guerrero||4. Dallas Smith
|5. Kailey Hansen||5. Kaila Kilwein||5. Kailey Hansen||5. Kalliah McCartney|
|6. Kalliah McCartney||6. Kalliah McCartney||6. Kalliah McCartney||6. Kailey Hansen|
|ex. Maddie Montoya
||ex. Tina Necas
||ex. Cassie Benning
||ex. Maddie Montoya