Full set of game notes (7 pages) - pdf
PV College Challenge Home Page
THE WEEK AHEAD
• Fresh off a 3-2 record at the season-opening NorCal Kickoff at Shea Stadium, Sacramento State will make its first-ever trip to Mexico to compete in the Puerto Vallarta College Challenge.
• In its fourth year of existence, the PV College Challenge was first held in 2015, and again in 2017 and 2018. The games that took place at the 2015 event were the first fastpitch games in NCAA history played outside the United States.
• The Hornets are one of eight teams at this week's tournament, and will play four times between Friday and Sunday. Of those four games, two will come against nationally ranked opponents.
• Friday, the Hornets open at 8 a.m. PST against 25th-ranked Mississippi State (4-1). On Saturday, the Hornets will face 12th-ranked Arkansas (5-0) at 1 p.m. PST, followed by a matchup with Southern Illinois (3-2) at 4 p.m. PST. Sunday, the Hornets will take on Central Florida (2-2) at 9 a.m. PST.
• All tournament games are played at Nancy Almaraz Stadium. The Hornets have never played Mississippi State or Central Florida, are 3-0 all-time vs. Arkansas, and 0-1 against Southern Illinois.
• Sacramento State has not beaten a nationally ranked opponent since March 24, 2009, when it defeated 12th-ranked Cal at home in eight innings by a 2-1 score. Since that victory, the Hornets have dropped 18 straight games against nationally ranked teams.
• All tournament games are being video streamed for a fee via FloSoftball. Live stats will be available. Multimedia links for all Hornet games can be found on the softball schedule at hornetsports.com.
• Sacramento State's offense has been impressive the first five games, batting .367 while averaging 7.8 runs per game. In fact, the Hornets rank among the top 30 teams in the nation in seven different offensive categories, including sixth in slugging percentage (.662), 17th in both doubles (2.40) and home runs (1.40) per game, and 24th in batting average.
• Five different Hornet regulars are hitting better than .400, including Katie Vretzos (.563), Nene Alas (.529), Mo Spieth (.462), Shea Graves (.444) and Krystal Aubert (.412).
• Three of the Hornets' four pitchers have ERAs of 3.00 or lower. That includes staff ace Savanna Corr, who is 2-0 with a 2.23 ERA. She has a pair of shutouts and 14 strikeouts in 15.2 innings.
• Sacramento State has struggled defensively as the team has already committed 13 errors and has a .917 fielding percentage. All 13 of those errors came during a three-game stretch against UC Santa Barbara (4), Santa Clara (3) and CSU Bakersfield (6). The six errors against CSUB were the most in Sacramento State single-game history.
• Aubert was named the Big Sky Player of the Week by College Sports Madness after batting .412 with two doubles, three home runs, nine RBIs, a 1.059 slugging percentage and 1.533 ops.
• Spieth is currently riding a four-game hitting streak. Over that span, she is batting .600 (6-for-10) with six runs, two doubles, two homers, four walks and eight RBIs.
• Vretzos had hit safely in each of the first four games (with three multi-hit games) prior to going 0-for-3 with an RBI in Sunday's win over Nevada.
• Sacramento State won both the Big Sky Conference regular season and tournament championships a year ago, and was unanimously selected to finish first in this year's preseason coaches poll.
• Sixth-year head coach Lori Perez oversees a roster that features 14 returners from a year ago, including seven positional starters and two pitchers.
July 8, 2019 CORR AND LOSBERGS NAMED BIG SKY SCHOLAR-ATHLETES
May 16, 2019 CORR AND AUBERT NAMED NFCA ALL-PACIFIC REGION
April 26, 2019 SOFTBALL DROPS A PAIR TO PORTLAND STATE
April 22, 2019 AUBERT NAMED BIG SKY SOFTBALL PLAYER OF THE WEEK
March 30, 2019 SOFTBALL DROPS A PAIR AT WEBER STATE
March 23, 2019 SOFTBALL DROPS SERIES FINALE TO SOUTHERN UTAH, 4-2
March 15, 2019 SOFTBALL BEGINS THE CAPITAL CLASSIC WITH A PAIR OF WINS
March 14, 2019 SOFTBALL FALLS AT HOME TO BUCKNELL, 1-0
March 12, 2019 SOFTBALL FALLS ON THE ROAD TO UC DAVIS, 4-0
March 11, 2019 MEJIA AND CORR NAMED BIG SKY SOFTBALL PLAYERS OF THE WEEK
February 28, 2019 WINNERS OF THREE STRAIGHT, SOFTBALL TO PLAY IN THE UC RIVERSIDE CLASSIC
February 25, 2019 CORR NAMED BIG SKY PITCHER OF THE WEEK AFTER SWEEP OF LOYOLA MARYMOUNT
February 23, 2019 SOFTBALL SWEEPS HOME DOUBLEHEADER OVER LOYOLA MARYMOUNT
February 19, 2019 SOFTBALL HOSTS THREE-GAME SERIES THIS WEEKEND VS LOYOLA MARYMOUNT
February 17, 2019 SOFTBALL LOSES LATE LEAD, FALLS TO CENTRAL FLORIDA, 6-5
February 16, 2019 SOFTBALL DROPS A PAIR ON THE SECOND DAY OF THE PV COLLEGE CHALLENGE
February 13, 2019 SOFTBALL TRAVELS TO PUERTO VALLARTA FOR FOUR GAMES STARTING ON FRIDAY
February 9, 2019 HUGE INNING PROPELS SOFTBALL TO 14-6 WIN OVER SANTA CLARA
February 8, 2019 SOFTBALL SPLITS TWO GAMES ON FIRST DAY OF THE NORCAL KICKOFF
February 6, 2019 SOFTBALL HOSTS SEASON-OPENING TOURNAMENT FRIDAY THROUGH SUNDAY
November 16, 2018 SOFTBALL SIGNS BERTUCCIO, DAY AND ROBLES TO NATIONAL LETTERS OF INTENT
October 18, 2018 24 HOME GAMES HIGHLIGHT SOFTBALL’S 2019 SCHEDULE
September 10, 2018 MATTHIAS INVITED TO PLAY FOR THE CHINESE TAIPEI NATIONAL TEAM