Full set of game notes (pdf)
Big Sky standings
THE WEEK AHEAD
• Coming off a week in which the team went 6-1, including a pair of mercy rule victories, Sacramento State (10-8) was supposed to play seven games this week over five days.
• However, the Hornets had their doubleheader at Nevada on Wednesday cancelled because of poor road conditions on the way to Reno. In fact, Sacramento State was halfway there before turning the bus around and heading home.
• The Hornets have now had six games canceled this year due to rain or poor road conditions.
• The Hornets will now turn their attention to the NorCal Challenge which they are co-hosting with UC Davis. The Hornets will play five times during the three-dy tournament that will see UC Davis host all four tournament games on Friday, Sacramento State host four tournament games on Saturday, and UC Davis hosts the final three games on Sunday.
• On Friday, at UC Davis' LaRue Field, the Hornets will play Fairleigh Dickinson (9:30 a.m.) and Santa Clara (11:30 a.m.). On Saturday, at Shea Stadium, Sacramento State hosts Pacific at 1:45 p.m. and UC Davis at 4 p.m. The Hornets head back to Davis on Sunday to conclude the tournament vs. Santa Clara at 2 p.m.
• The Hornets have justs six games left until opening Big Sky Conference play on March 23 at Northern Colorado.
• Sacramento State's only blemish during its last seven games came in a 3-2 loss to Saint Mary's on Saturday in which the Gaels overcame a 2-0 deficit with runs in the fifth, sixth and seventh innings.
• The Hornets are 4-4 at Shea Stadium, 4-4 at neutral sites, and 2-0 when playing on an opponent's home field.
• Like all homes games this year, a video stream will be provided for both of Sacramento State's home games on Saturday vs. Pacific and UC Davis.
• Live audio will be available for every home game this year via KSSU Student Radio.
• Live stats will be available for every game the remainder of the season.
• All hyperlinks to the multimedia options can be found next to the games on the softball schedule at www.hornetsports.com.
vs. THIS WEEK'S OPPONENTS
• Sacramento State has played Fairleigh Dickinson just once, a 5-3 loss to the Knights in San Luis Obispo on March 8, 2014.
• In one of the longest standing rivalries against any team, the Hornets are 74-24 all-time against Santa Clara, which includes a 6-2 win in this year's season opener at Shea Stadium.
• The Hornets are 31-41 vs. Pacific, and each of the last two meetings between the teams have been decided by one run.
• Sacramento State will be playing UC Davis for the 101st time as the Hornets own a 63-37 record against their Causeway rivals. However, the Aggies have won seven of the last 10 meetings.
ALAS NAMED BIG SKY PLAYER OF THE WEEK
• Junior outfielder Nene Alas was named the Big Sky Conference Softball Player of the Week on Tuesday after helping lead Sacramento State to a 6-1 record last week.
• Alas finished the week batting .538 (14-for-26) with 10 runs scored, three doubles, two triples, six RBIs, a walk, a perfect fielding percentage and she was 5-for-5 in stolen base attempts.
• Alas also had 21 total bases, an .808 slugging percentage, a .556 on-base percentage and a massive 1.364 ops. She had multiple-hit games in six of the seven contests. In addition, she scored at least one run in six of the seven games, and scored multiple runs in four of those contests.
• Alas, who has started all 18 games this season, is now batting a team-high .375 with 14 runs scored, four doubles, two triples, 32 total bases, a .500 slugging percentage, .420 on-base percentage, and she is 6-for-7 in stolen base opportunities.
MATTHIAS LEADS THE BIG SKY IN EARNED RUN AVERAGE
• Senior right-hander Celina Matthias is off to a nice start this year as she is currently 6-3 with a 1.75 ERA. In 64.0 innings, she has struck out 64 batters and has yielded just a .188 opponents batting average.
• Matthias currently leads all Big Sky pitchers in ERA and opponents batting average while also ranking third in strikeouts and wins, and fourth in innings pitched (64.0).
• She has already thrown three shutouts, struck out a career-high 14 batters in a win over Wagner, and has yielded two earned runs or less in 11 of her 13 appearances.
• The 14 strikeouts were the most by a Hornet in a single game since Cassie Cervantes struck out 14 vs. Seton Hall on Feb. 16, 2007.
• Left fielder Suzy Brookshire, currently batting .373, is riding a career-high seven-game hitting streak. During that stretch, she is hitting .444 (8-for-18) with eight runs scored, two homers, six walks, six RBIs and an .889 slugging percentage.
• Dating back to her sophomore season, second baseman Zamari Hinton (currently hitting .353) has struck out just twice in her last 255 at-bats. She has yet to strikeout this season in 68 at-bats, and is currently riding a six-game hitting streak.
• Sophomore Alexxiss Diaz has started eight straight games at designated player, and during that stretch, she is batting .348 (8-for-23) with a homer and nine RBIs.
• Over the last three games, first baseman Mo Spieth has raised her batting average 83 percentage points to its current mark of .288. During that three-game stretch, she is 6-for-8 with seven runs, two doubles, a homer and six RBIs.
• Shortstop Sydney Rasmussen is 3-for-3 in stolen base opportunities this year, and 20-for-22 during her career. Her career on-base percentage currently sands at .408.
• As a team, Sacramento State leads the Big Sky in batting average (.294), slugging percentage (.407) and on-base percentage (.368) while ranking second in the league in ERA (3.12) and opponents' batting average (.249).
• The Hornets have been successful on 19 straight steal attempts, and are 20-for-22 this season.
August 14, 2018 SOFTBALL SIGNS NEW MEXICO TRANSFER JENSEN MAIN
August 7, 2018 SOFTBALL’S VICKY RIOS ELEVATED TO ASSOCIATE HEAD COACH
May 17, 2018 BROOKSHIRE AND MATTHIAS NAMED ALL-PACIFIC REGION
April 18, 2018 BATS GO SILENT AS SOFTBALL DROPS TWO AGAINST SAINT MARY’S
April 11, 2018 SOFTBALL WINS FIFTH IN A ROW, BEATS SANTA CLARA, 3-1
March 30, 2018 SOFTBALL SPLITS A DOUBLEHEADER ON THE ROAD AT WEBER STATE
March 21, 2018 RAIN CANCELS SOFTBALL’S GAME AT CAL
March 15, 2018 RAIN FORCES CHANGES TO NORCAL SOFTBALL CHALLENGE SCHEDULE
March 13, 2018 ALAS NAMED THE BIG SKY SOFTBALL PLAYER OF THE WEEK
February 22, 2018 MATTHIAS’ SHUTOUT LEADS SOFTBALL TO DOUBLEHEADER SPLIT WITH STANFORD
February 21, 2018 SOFTBALL HOSTS STANFORD THURSDAY FOR DOUBLEHEADER AT NOON
February 19, 2018 SOFTBALL FALLS TO UC RIVERSIDE, COMPLETES TOURNAMENT WITH A 2-3 RECORD
February 15, 2018 SOFTBALL TO PLAY FIVE GAMES OVER THREE DAYS NEAR PALM SPRINGS
February 10, 2018 SATURDAY’S SOFTBALL GAME AGAINST CAL CANCELLED
February 10, 2018 UC SANTA BARBARA USES LATE COMEBACK TO BEAT SOFTBALL
February 1, 2018 SOFTBALL SELECTED THIRD IN THE BIG SKY PRESEASON COACHES POLL
November 30, 2017 WINTER PROSPECT CLINIC RESCHEDULED FOR SATURDAY, JAN. 20
October 20, 2017 23 HOME GAMES HIGHLIGHT SOFTBALL’S 2018 SCHEDULE