FOLSOM, Calif. — Sacramento State played a rare home tripleheader today, and won all three matches, comprised of victories against San Francisco (4-1), San Jose State (4-1) and Cal Poly (3-2).
It was a good way to wrap up the regular season for the Hornets (7-9), who do not play again until traveling to Pismo Beach for the Big West Tournament on April 28-29. Today's wins marked the second of the season against both San Francisco and San Jose State, and the first vs. Cal Poly. In fact, the Hornets went a combined 5-1 against those three teams this season.
The third win of the day came against a Cal Poly team that is currently receiving votes in the AVCA Collegiate Beach Volleyball and DiG Magazine top 20 polls. The victory also avenged a 5-0 loss to Cal Poly two weeks ago in Huntington Beach.
The Hornets' doubles team of Brigitte Murdock and Courtney Dietrich won all three of their matches, including straight sets victories over their opponents from San Jose State and San Francisco. They also beat Taylor Gruenewald and Heather Pembroke of Cal Poly by a 12-21, 21-18, 15-10 score.
In addition, three other Hornet doubles teams posted two wins during the day including Brie Gathright/Lexie Skalbeck (2-1), Sarah Davis/Kennedy Kurtz (2-1) and Lana Brown/Hannah Meadows (2-0). Gathright and Skalbeck played at No. 1 during the final two matches of the day for the first time all season, and pulled out a 25-23, 15-21, 15-11 victory in the top spot against San Jose State.
Individually, Brown went 3-0 today, including a 2-0 record with Meadows and 1-0 with Skyler Takeda. The combination of Brown and Meadows has now won four straight matches.
The Hornets went undefeated at the Nos. 4 and 5 spots in the lineup today. In the Cal Poly match, Murdock/Dietrich (12-21, 21-18, 15-10 at No. 5), Meadows/Brown (21-16, 21-11 at No. 4), and Kurtz/Davis (21-19, 21-14 at No. 3) each won and clinched the Hornet win before the Nos. 1 and 2 doubles teams took the court.
Sacramento State's seven victories ties the Hornets' amount of wins from the last two years combined. In addition, of Sacramento State's nine losses this season, four have come against ranked opposition.
The Hornets went 5-3 at home this season.
Sacramento State 4, San Francisco 1
1. Nora Buvarp Lavik/Emily Reed (USF) def. Madeline Cannon/Morgan Stanley (SAC) 21-14, 21-15
2. Lexie Skalbeck/Brie Gathright (SAC) def. Camille Araujo/Marjolijn Oskam (USF) 21-17, 21-10
3. Kennedy Kurtz/Sarah Davis (SAC) def. Dane Miller/Carly Lowry (USF) 21-16, 21-19
4. Lana Brown/Skyler Takeda (SAC) def. Kate Ashman/Shannon Levinson (USF) 21-10, 21-17
5. Courtney Dietrich/Brigitte Murdock (SAC) def. Montana Green/Trish Koutsoukos (USF) 21-8, 21-13
Sacramento State 4, San Jose State 1
1. Lexie Skalbeck/Brie Gathright (SAC) def. Lyndi Scholl/Allison Meehan (SJSU) 25-23, 15-21, 15-11
2. Morgan Stanley/Madeline Cannon (SAC) def. Nandyala Gama/Julie Sam (SJSU) 16-21, 21-12, 15-10
3. Giulia Gavio/Luiza Andrade (SJSU) def. Kennedy Kurtz/Sarah Davis (SAC) 21-9, 21-17
4. Hannah Meadows/Lana Brown (SAC) def. Summer Avery/Jamie Hirai (SJSU) 22-20, 20-22, 15-13
5. Courtney Dietrich/Brigitte Murdock (SAC) def. Julia Golbeck/Kaitlynn Zdroik (SJSU) 21-16, 21-10
Sacramento State 3, Cal Poly 2
1. Hannah Hubbard/Emily Sonny (CP) def. Lexie Skalbeck/Brie Gathright (SAC) 21-11, 21-16
2. Adlee Van Winden/Taylor Nelson (CP) def. Madeline Cannon/Morgan Stanley (SAC) 14-21, 21-16, 15-13
3. Kennedy Kurtz/Sarah Davis (SAC) def. Holland Boege/Raeann Greisen (CP) 21-19, 21-14
4. Hannah Meadows/Lana Brown (SAC) def. Brayden Gruenewald/Savannah Niemen (CP) 21-16, 21-11
5. Brigitte Murdock/Courtney Dietrich (SAC) def. Taylor Gruenewald/Heather Pembroke (CP) 12-21, 21-18, 15-10
April 13, 2017 BEACH VOLLEYBALL FALLS TO OREGON AND WASHINGTON
March 18, 2017 BEACH VOLLEYBALL FALLS AT 11TH-RANKED CAL, 4-1