FOLSOM, Calif. — Sacramento State played a home doubleheader on Thursday afternoon at the Livermore Community Park beach volleyball courts, narrowly falling to Oregon, 3-2, before dropping the nightcap to Washington by a 5-0 score.
Today's matches marked the first two of a stretch that will see the Hornets play five times at home over a three-day span. Sacramento State will play a tripleheader on Saturday that will see the team face San Francisco at 10 a.m., San Jose State at 1 p.m., and Cal Poly at 4 p.m. The one day, four-team mini tournament will also take place at Folsom's Livermore Community Park, and the schedule can be found by clicking here.
This week marks the final contests of the regular season as the Hornets will take part in the Big West Tournament on April 28.
Today's losses dropped the Hornets to 4-9 this season while Oregon improved to 2-3 and Washington is now 4-4.
The loss to Oregon was extremely close as Sacramento State jumped out to a 1-0 lead when the No. 4 tandem of Hannah Meadows and Lana Brown defeated Lauren Page and Marine Hall-Poirier, 21-15, 21-17. Sacramento State could have easily won at No. 5 as well, but Courtney Dietrich and Brigitte Murdock lost in three sets, including 16-14 in the third. Dietrich/Murdock held 8-3 and 14-13 leads in that third set, but could not put Oregon away.
With the match tied at 1-1, Oregon took a 2-1 lead after the Hornets' Kennedy Kurtz and Sarah Davis lost at No. 3 by a 21-12, 21-16 score. However, Sacramento State drew even at 2-2 after Brie Gathright and Lexie Skalbeck won, 21-15, 25-23, at No. 2.
With the score tied at 2-2, it came down to No. 1 where Oregon's Brooke Van Sickle/Lindsey Weide outlasted Morgan Stanley/Madeline Cannon, 14-21, 21-15, 15-11.
The loss for the Hornets was the second in a week's span to Oregon as Sacramento State lost to the Ducks, 3-2, on April 7 in Boise. That match was almost identical to today's outcome as both Brown/Meadows and Skalbeck/Gathright won while Cannon/Stanley and Dietrich/Murdock both lost in three sets.
In today's loss to Washington, the Huskies made quick work of the Hornets, winning four of the five doubles matches in straight sets. At No. 4, Brown and Skyler Takeda forced three sets, but lost to Shayne McPherson and Melanie Wade by a 21-13, 19-21, 15-9 score.
Complete results of today's matches can be found below.
Oregon 3, Sacramento State 2
1. Brooke Van Sickle/Lindsey Vander Weide (ORE) def. Morgan Stanley/Madeline Cannon (SAC) 14-21, 21-15, 15-11
2. Brie Gathright/Lexie Skalbeck (SAC) def. Taylor Agost/August Raskie (ORE) 21-15, 25-23
3. M. Silberger-Franek/Willow Johnson (ORE) def. Kennedy Kurtz/Sarah Davis (SAC) 21-12, 21-16
4. Hannah Meadows/Lana Brown (SAC) def. Lauren Page/Marine Hall-Poirier (ORE) 21-15, 21-17
5. Maggie Scott/Ronika Stone (ORE) def. Courtney Dietrich/Brigitte Murdock (SAC) 21-18, 11-21, 16-14
Washington 5, Sacramento State 0
1. Tia Scambray/Crissy Jones (WASH) def. Madeline Cannon/Morgan Stanley (SAC) 21-9, 21-15
2. Cassie Strickland/Courtney Schwan (WASH) def. Brie Gathright/Lexie Skalbeck (SAC) 21-16, 21-13
3. Destiny Julye/Carly Dehoog (WASH) def. Kennedy Kurtz/Sarah Davis (SAC) 21-16, 21-18
4. Shayne McPherson/Melanie Wade (WASH) def. Lana Brown/Skyler Takeda (SAC) 21-13, 19-21, 15-9
5. Lindsay Chalmers/Anna Crabtree (WASH) def. Brigitte Murdock/Courtney Dietrich (SAC) 21-8, 21-10
April 13, 2017 BEACH VOLLEYBALL FALLS TO OREGON AND WASHINGTON
March 18, 2017 BEACH VOLLEYBALL FALLS AT 11TH-RANKED CAL, 4-1