SAND VOLLEYBALL FALLS TO CAL POLY AND SAN FRANCISCO
Tournament Home Page
SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- The Hornets dropped a pair of matches on the first day of the Sacramento State Sand Volleyball Invitational Friday evening at the Sacramento Softball Complex. The Hornets lost to Cal Poly, 3-2, in the afternoon and fell to San Francisco, 4-1, later in the evening.
The Sacramento State Invitational is a three-day, eight-team tournament that continues with eight matches tomorrow and one more on Sunday. Two other matches were played today which saw ninth-ranked Saint Mary's beat Boise State, 4-1, and Boise State coming back later in the evening to defeat Cal Poly, 3-2.
In Sacramento State's matchup with Cal Poly, the Hornets received victories from the No. 3 tandem of Madeline Cannon and Morgan Stanley (17-21, 21-15, 15-12) as well as No. 4 Lexie Skalbeck and Chelcy Motes (21-17, 21-17). The Mustangs won at Nos. 2 and 5, and the match was deadlocked at 2-2 in the best-of-five format, setting up a showdown at No. 1 between the Hornets' Kayla Beal and Katie Aprile and Cal Poly's Jennifer Keddy and Katie Conroy.
Beal and Aprile won the first set, 22-20, before narrowly dropping the second by a 21-19 score and Keddy/Conroy sealed the win with a 15-11 victory in the third frame.
Against San Francisco, the Hornets' No. 2 team of Sloan Lovett and Lauren Aikels defeated Jurja Vlasic and Malina Terrell by a 26-24, 21-14 score, but that was the only victory of the match for Sacramento State. Cannon and Stanley forced a third set in their match at No. 3, but eventually fell, 19-21, 21-15, 15-8.
Sacramento State's teams of Beal/Aprile (21-15, 21-16 at No. 1), Skalbeck/Motes (21-15, 21-16 at No. 4) and Courtney Dietrich / Kendall LaVine (16-21, 21-7, 15-5 at No. 5) also lost.
Among the eight matches being played tomorrow include two more contests for the Hornets against Cal at noon, and Santa Clara at 6 p.m. For a complete tournament schedule, fan information and results, please click here.
SACRAMENTO STATE'S RESULTS
Cal Poly 3, Sacramento State 2
1. Jennifer Keddy / Katie Conroy (CP) def. Kayla Beal / Katie Aprile (SAC), 20-22, 21-19, 15-11
2. Nicole Kessler / Megan Groess (CP) def. Sloan Lovett / Lauren Aikels (SAC), 21-17, 21-19
3. Madeline Cannon / Morgan Stanley (SAC) def. Kate Walters / Hannah Schleis (CP), 17-21, 21-15, 15-12
4. Lexie Skalbeck / Chelcy Motes (SAC) def. Stacia Williams / Anna Gorman (CP), 21-17, 21-17
5. Shannon Fouts / Taylor Gruenewald (CP) def. Courtney Dietrich / Kendall LaVine (SAC), 22-20, 21-7
San Francisco 4, Sacramento State 1
1. Valentina Zaloznik / Sara Staengle (USF) def. Kayla Beal / Katie Aprile (SAC), 21-15, 21-16
2. Sloan Lovett / Lauren Aikels (SAC) def. Jurja Vlasic / Malina Terrell (USF), 26-24, 21-14
3. Katarina Pilepic / Courtney Sabahi (USF) def. Madeline Cannon / Morgan Stanley (SAC), 19-21, 21-15, 15-8
4. Becky Kopilovitch / Anja Segota (USF) def. Lexie Skalbeck / Chelcy Motes (SAC), 21-15, 21-16
5. Emily Reed / Invar Vinarsky (USF) def. Courtney Dietrich / Kendall LaVine (SAC),16-21, 21-7, 15-5
OTHER SCORES FROM TODAY
Saint Mary's 4, Boise State 1
1. Jordan Shaw / Samantha Tinsley (SMC) def. Alyssa Gammel / Brittany Reardon (BSU), 21-12, 21-14
2. Kristina Graven / Natalie Loos (SMC) def. Kaitlyn Oliver / Sarah Baugh (BSU), 21-14, 21-17
3. Dalas Dodd / Alexis Salmons (SMC) def. Sarah Horton / Laney Hayes (BSU), 21-6, 20-22, 15-8
4. Rachel Gillcrist / Mileva Popovic (SMC) def. Aly Duffin / Katelyn Kinghorn (BSU), 17-21, 21-19, 17-15
5. Maddy O'Donnell / Izzy Miller (BSU) def. Maegan Conroy / Milena Popovic (SMC), 21-14, 33-31
Boise State 3, Cal Poly 2
1. Jennifer Keddy / Katie Conroy (CP) def. Alyssa Gammel / Brittany Reardon (BSU), 21-18, 21-11
2. Sarah Horton / Laney Hayes (BSU) def. Nicole Kessler / Megan Groess (CP), 11-21, 21-17, 15-9
3. Kate Walters / Hannah Schleis (CP) def. Kaitlyn Oliver / Sarah Baugh (BSU), 21-16, 21-18
4. Aly Duffin / Katelyn Kinghorn (BSU) def. Stacia Williams / Anna Gorman (CP), 22-20, 21-14
5. Casey Rose / Taylor Murphey (BSU) def. Shannon Fouts / Taylor Gruenewald (CP), 21-16, 21-13