SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- Sacramento State dropped a nail biter to Stanford, 3-2, in the afternoon before coming later in the evening and falling to Saint Mary's, 5-0, as part of a seven-team, dual-meet sand volleyball tournament Sunday at the Sacramento Softball Complex.
The tournament featured all seven members of the Northern California Sand Volleyball Consortium (Sacramento State, Cal, Stanford, Saint Mary's, Pacific, San Francisco and Santa Clara), and a total of seven matches were played throughout the day beginning at 9 a.m., and running until 8:30 p.m.
Each team in the tournament played two matches during the day. Of the seven teams to compete in the tournament, four qualified for the NCAA Tournament during the 2012 indoor season, including Stanford and Saint Mary's.
Sacramento State dropped to 1-4 this year, while Saint Mary's moved its record to 5-1 and Stanford is now 2-1.
The loss to Stanford was not only the Hornets' third straight 3-2 defeat, it also came in gut-wrenching fashion as Sacramento State could have just as easily won the match by a 4-1 score. The Hornets received wins from its No. 1 doubles team of Jessie Genger and Sydney Kordic (23-21, 16-21, 15-13) as well as its No. 2 team of Kayla Beal and Katie Aprile (21-8, 21-14).
The Hornets could have just easily won at No. 3 where Hannah Hettinga and Katelyn Ivy had a match point in the third set at 15-14 before falling, 17-15. In addition, the No. 4 team of Sloan Lovett and Lauren Aikels had a 13-10 lead in the third and final set before falling by a 16-14 score. Kelsey Elston and Chelcy Motes also narrowly lost their match at No. 5 by a 21-17, 21-19 score.
Elston had played with Breanne Menees during each of Sacramento State's first three matches of the season, but Menees was unavailable to play today with an eye injury.
VS. SAINT MARY'S
Saint Mary's, who also beat Stanford today by a 4-1 score, is now 5-0 against teams in the Northern California Sand Volleyball Consortium. The Gaels won all five matches against the Hornets in the evening match, winning three of those in straight sets. That included Beal and Aprile dropping their first match of the season by a 21-19, 21-18 score. The combination of Beal/Aprile had been 4-0 this season until the loss tonight.
Hettinga/Ivy, and Lovett/Aikels each forced a third set in their respective matches, but both teams fell by a 15-12 score in the deciding set. Genger/Kordic (21-10, 21-16), and Elston/Motes (21-13, 21-9) lost their matches in straight sets.
The loss was the first match all season in which Sacramento State did not play to a 3-2 outcome. The Hornets won their first match of the year against Cal by a 3-2 score, before falling, 3-2, to San Francisco, Pacific and Stanford.
Sacramento State will play its final home match of the season on Saturday, April 13, when the team hosts Cal at noon. The Hornets defeated the Golden Bears in their season opener earlier back on March 16.
3-2 LOSS TO STANFORD
1. Jessie Genger / Sydney Kordic (SAC) def. Carly Wopat / Jordan Burgess (STAN), 23-21, 16-21, 15-13
2. Kayla Beal / Katie Aprile (SAC) def. Rachel Williams / Kyle Gilbert (STAN), 21-8, 21-14
3. Hannah Hettinga / Katelyn Ivy (SAC) lost to Brittany Howard / Madi Bugg (STAN), 21-17, 17-21 15-17
4. Sloan Lovett / Lauren Aikels (SAC) lost to Inky Ajanaku / Mary Ellen Luck (STAN), 23-21, 13-21, 14-16
5. Kelsey Elston / Chelcy Motes (SAC) lost to Megan McGehee / Morgan Boukather (STAN), 21-17, 21-19
5-0 LOSS TO SAINT MARY'S
1. Jessie Genger / Sydney Kordic (SAC) lost to Dalas Dodd / Jordan Shaw (SMC), 21-10, 21-16
2. Kayla Beal / Katie Aprile (SAC) lost to Sam Tinsley / Dancia Mendivil (SMC), 21-19, 21-18
3. Hannah Hettinga / Katelyn Ivy (SAC) lost to Sarah Reams / Kristina Graven (SMC), 22-20, 13-21, 12-15
4. Sloan Lovett / Lauren Aikels (SAC) lost to Mileva Popovic / Natalie Loos (SMC), 12-21, 21-15, 12-15
5. Kelsey Elston / Chelcy Motes (SAC) lost to Rachel Gillcrist / Frannie Cormier (SMC), 13-21, 9-21
April 21, 2013 SAND VOLLEYBALL DROPS FINAL TWO MATCHES OF THE SEASON
April 13, 2013 SAND VOLLEYBALL KNOCKS OFF CAL FOR THE SECOND TIME
March 23, 2013 SAND VOLLEYBALL DROPS A 3-2 DECISION TO PACIFIC
March 22, 2013 SAND VOLLEYBALL DROPS NAIL BITER TO SAN FRANCISCO
March 16, 2013 SAND VOLLEYBALL BEATS CAL, WINS FIRST-EVER MATCH
March 14, 2013 SAND VOLLEYBALL’S FIRST-EVER MATCH ON TAP FOR SATURDAY