MENâ€™S TENNIS CRUSHES PREVIOUSLY UNBEATEN MONTANA STATE
Redshirt freshman Niranjan Ram won at No. 5 today by a 6-2, 6-0 score
SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- Sacramento State’s Marek Marksoo, Aliaksandr Malko, Roy Brandys, Sean Kolar, Niranjan Ram and Tom Miller all posted straight-set victories to beat Montana State, 7-0, in a Big Sky Conference men’s tennis match Tuesday afternoon at the Rio Del Oro Racquet Club.
In a match that lasted just two and a half hours, Sacramento State (5-9, 2-0) remained undefeated in conference play and finally got to enjoy a blowout victory. The Hornets have made a habit recently of playing nail-biting matches that come down to the wire, and today was their first 7-0 blanking of the season. Prior to today, Sacramento State had played in eight straight matches that were decided by 4-3 or 5-2 outcomes.
Making the victory even more impressive is Montana State (9-7, 5-1) entered the match undefeated in conference play. Overall, the Bobcats had won six of their previous eight matches as well.
Today marked the conclusion of a stretch that saw Sacramento State play five home matches over a six-day span.
None of the six singles matches were close as Marksoo (6-1, 6-2 at No. 1), Malko (6-4, 6-1 at No. 2), Brandys (6-2, 6-1 at No. 3), Kolar (6-2, 6-3 at No. 4), Ram (6-2, 6-0 at No. 5) and Miller (6-3, 6-0 at No. 6) all won with relative ease.
In doubles play, the Hornet tandems of Malko/Marksoo (8-5), Brandys/Kolar (8-6) and Miller/Henrik Raag (8-7) were all victorious as well.
Sacramento State, which has now won six straight conference matches dating back to last season, returns to action this weekend for three conference matches on the road. That includes playing Southern Utah on Saturday, and both Weber State and Idaho State on Sunday.
Montana State vs Sacramento State
Mar 12, 2013 at Sacramento, Calif.
(Rio Del Oro Racquet Club)
Sacramento State 7, Montana State 0
1. MARKSOO, Marek (SAC) def. BRANDES, Niklas (MSU) 6-1, 6-2
2. MALKO, Aliaksandr (SAC) def. MARTIN-MORILLAS, J. (MSU) 6-4, 6-1
3. BRANDYS, Roy (SAC) def. SCHLEUTER, Markus (MSU) 6-2, 6-1
4. KOLAR, Sean (SAC) def. CAMPOS, Diego (MSU) 6-2, 6-3
5. RAM, Niranjan (SAC) def. JAMES, Harry (MSU) 6-2, 6-0
6. MILLER, Tom (SAC) def. SIVASUBRAMANIAM, P. (MSU) 6-3, 6-0
1. MALKO, Aliaksandr/MARKSOO, Marek (SAC) def. BRANDES, Niklas/CAMPOS, Diego (MSU) 8-5
2. BRANDYS, Roy/KOLAR, Sean (SAC) def. SCHLEUTER, Markus/MARTIN-MORILLAS, J. (MSU) 8-6
3. MILLER, Tom/RAAG, Henrik (SAC) def. JAMES, Harry/SIVASUBRAMANIAM, P. (MSU) 8-7 (7-1)
Montana State 9-7, 5-1
Sacramento State 5-9, 2-0
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (2,1,3,6,5,4)