MENâ€™S TENNIS SPLITS A PAIR OF CLOSE MATCHES, WINS CONFERENCE OPENER
Senior Aliaksandr Malko has now won three straight, and four of his last five singles matches
SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- The Sacramento State men’s tennis team split a pair of 4-3 matches, including beating Northern Arizona in the team’s Big Sky Conference opener. The Hornets fell to UT Arlington this morning before coming back a couple hours later to knock off the Lumberjacks.
Sacramento State, which is the middle of a stretch that will see the team play five home matches in six days, moved its record to 4-8 overall and 1-0 in the Big Sky. The Hornets have used a lineup consisting of five underclassmen in every competition this season, and nine of the team’s 12 matches thus far have been decided by 4-3 or 5-2 outcomes.
In the team’s win over NAU, the Lumberjacks held a 3-1 lead in the match until the Hornets posted three straight singles wins from Marek Marksoo (6-4, 6-4 at No. 1), Aliaksandr Malko (6-4, 6-4 at No. 2) and Tom Miller (6-1, 4-6, 6-4) to claim the victory. Playing in his first singles match of the season, freshman Henrik Raag won in straight sets at No. 6 by a 6-2, 6-1 score.
Northern Arizona won the doubles point by virtue of taking two of the three doubles matches (Malko/Marksoo was the only Hornet tandem to win in doubles).
The loss to UT Arlington couldn’t have been much closer as three different matches went to a tiebreaker in at least one set. That included the match-clinching point for the Mavericks. With the match tied at 3-3, it all came down to Court #3 where Carlos Arbiza eventually outlasted the Hornets’ Roy Brandys, 6-4, 2-6, 7-6 (7-4 in the tiebreaker). Brandys was playing in just his second match of the season at No. 3 after spending the majority of the season as the team’s No. 4 player.
Marksoo (7-6, 6-3 at No. 1), Malko (6-4, 4-6, 7-6 at No. 2) and Miller (6-3, 6-2 at No. 6) all picked up singles victories for the Hornets. UT Arlington also won the doubles point by virtue of a tiebreaker as the tandem of Soren Goritzka and Marek Pesicka beat Malko/Marksoo, 9-8 (4) after the teams split the first two doubles matches.
With two more victories today, Marksoo won his sixth straight singles match and improved to 8-2 at No. 1 in the team’s lineup. Malko has now won three straight, and four of his last five singles matches.
The Hornets conclude their five-game homestand with matches tomorrow against Nevada (1 p.m.) and Tuesday against Big Sky foe Montana State (12 p.m.).
Mar 09, 2013 at Sacramento, Calif.
(Rio Del Oro Racquet Club)
Sacramento State 4, Northern Arizona 3
1. MARKSOO, Marek (SAC) def. WATERS, Shaun (NAU) 6-4, 6-4
2. MALKO, Aliaksandr (SAC) def. SCHIMMELBAUER, P (NAU) 6-4, 6-4
3. BERMUDEZ, Dominic (NAU) def. BRANDYS, Roy (SAC) 6-4, 6-2
4. MARTIN, Robert (NAU) def. RAM, Niranjan (SAC) 6-1, 6-4
5. MILLER, Tom (SAC) def. BLACK, Kester (NAU) 6-1, 4-6, 6-4
6. RAAG, Henrik (SAC) def. BARRIOS, Alan (NAU) 6-2, 6-1
1. MALKO, Aliaksandr/MARKSOO, Marek (SAC) def. BLACK, Kester/WATERS, Shaun (NAU) 8-5
2. BERMUDEZ, Dominic/SCHIMMELBAUER, P (NAU) def. KOLAR, Sean/MILLER, Tom (SAC) 9-7
3. UNGER, Trevor/MARTIN, Robert (NAU) def. BRANDYS, Roy/RAAG, Henrik (SAC) 8-6
Northern Arizona 2-11, 0-2
Sacramento State 4-8, 1-0
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (6,4,3,2,1,5)
UT Arlington 4, Sacramento State 3
1. MARKSOO, Marek (SAC) def. Yakauleu, Yauheni (UTA) 7-6 (7-3), 6-3
2. MALKO, Aliaksandr (SAC) def. Goritzka, Soren (UTA) 6-4, 4-6, 7-6 (7-3)
3. Arbiza, Carlos (UTA) def. BRANDYS, Roy (SAC) 6-4, 2-6, 7-6 (7-4)
4. Erimicioiu, Sebastia (UTA) def. KOLAR, Sean (SAC) 6-1, 6-3
5. Pesicka, Marek (UTA) def. RAM, Niranjan (SAC) 3-6, 6-1, 6-4
6. MILLER, Tom (SAC) def. Williams, Stefan (UTA) 6-3, 6-2
1. Goritzka, Soren/Pesicka, Marek (UTA) def. MARKSOO, Marek/MALKO, Aliaksandr (SAC) 9-8 (7-4)
2. Arbiza, Carlos/Yakauleu, Yauheni (UTA) def. MILLER, Tom/KOLAR, Sean (SAC) 8-2
3. BRANDYS, Roy/RAAG, Henrik (SAC) def. Gomez, Sebastian/Perez, Javier (UTA) 8-4
UT Arlington 4-4
Sacramento State 3-8
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (6,4,5,1,2,3)