MENâ€™S TENNIS PICKS UP FIRST WIN OF THE SEASON WITH 6-1 WIN OVER UC IRVINE
Sophomore Roy Brandys won his match at No. 4 singles by a 6-2, 6-4 score today
HONOLULU, Hawaii -- Sacramento State’s Marek Marksoo, Aliaksandr Malko, Roy Brandys, Tom Miller and Niranjan Ram each posted singles victories to lead the Hornets to a 6-1 victory over UC Irvine Saturday afternoon at the UH Tennis Complex.
With the win, the Hornets improved to 1-2 on the young season. The team wraps up its Honolulu trip with its third match in as many days tomorrow afternoon against Hawai’i (11 a.m. PST).
Playing his first career match at No. 1 singles, Marksoo, who is a sophomore, defeated Tyler Pham by a 6-3, 1-6, 6-4 score. Marksoo began last season as the team’s No. 5 singles player and moved all the way up to No. 2 by the end of the year. He began this season at No. 2, and was vaulted to No. 1 singles after just two matches.
Malko (6-1, 6-0 at No. 2), Brandys (6-2, 6-4 at No. 4), Miller (6-2, 6-0 at No. 5) and Ram (6-4, 0-6, 6-4 at No. 6) were also victorious. The win for Ram, who is a redshirt freshman, was the first in his Sacramento State career. Five of the Hornets’ six players used today are underclassmen to go along with the team’s lone senior in Malko.
All three doubles matches were close, but the Hornets picked up the doubles point for the second time in as many days. After the tandem of Malko and Marksoo tied the competition at 1-1 with their win at No. 1 (8-6), it was Brandys and Ram who clinched the point with a 10-8 tiebreaker win at No. 3.
The tandems of Malko/Marksoo, and Ram/Brandys are now both 2-1 this season. Marksoo improved to 2-1 in singles play as well.
Jan 19, 2013 at Honolulu, Hawaii
(UH Tennis Complex)
Sacramento State 6, UC Irvine 1
1. MARKSOO, Marek (SAC) def. PHAM, Tyler (UCI) 6-3, 1-6, 6-4
2. MALKO, Aliaksandr (SAC) def. ASAMI, Reo (UCI) 6-1, 6-0
3. CHEUNG, Ryan (UCI) def. KOLAR, Sean (SAC) 6-3, 7-6 (7-4)
4. BRANDYS, Roy (SAC) def. POON, Jonathan (UCI) 6-2, 6-4
5. MILLER, Tom (SAC) def. HERNANDEZ, Caryl (UCI) 6-2, 6-0
6. RAM, Niranjan (SAC) def. AGBAYANI, Justin (UCI) 6-4, 0-6, 6-4
1. MALKO, Aliaksandr/MARKSOO, Marek (SAC) def. CHEUNG, Ryan/HAMMEL, Jonathan (UCI) 8-6
2. PHAM, Tyler/POON, Jonathan (UCI) def. KOLAR, Sean/MILLER, Tom (SAC) 8-6
3. BRANDYS, Roy/RAM, Niranjan (SAC) def. AGBAYANI, Justin/ASAMI, Reo (UCI) 8-7 (10-8)
UC Irvine 0-3
Sacramento State 1-2
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (2,4,5,3,6,1)