MEN'S TENNIS ADVANCES TO BIG SKY CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH WITH 4-0 WIN OVER MONTANA STATE
Javier Millan won in both singles and doubles to help the Hornets advance to the Big Sky Championship match.
BOZEMAN, Mont. — The Sacramento State men's tennis moved one step closer to another Big Sky Conference title, defeating Montana State, 4-0, in the semifinals of the conference tournament on Saturday at the Bobcat Anderson Tennis Center.
The top-seeded Hornets will face the winner of the Northern Arizona-Montana match which took place Saturday afternoon.
Against Montana State, the Hornets took a 1-0 lead after winning the doubles point. Sacramento State received wins from Jason Smith and Aliaksandr Malko at No. 2 and from Javier Millan and Josh Lorentzen at No. 3.
In singles play, Kiryl Harbatsiuk returned to the lineup and cruised to a 6-2, 6-2, win over Pawel Turzanski at No. 1. The Hornets were then forced to battle back in each of the remaining singles matches. Marko Starcevik overcame a first set loss to defeat Alberto Fuentes 4-6, 6-1, 6-2, at No. 3.
The clinching point came from Millan at No. 4 who downed Diego Campos Contreras, 2-6, 7-6 (7-2), 6-0.
The three remaining matches were all close when the contest was stopped. Smith dropped his first set, 6-4, at No. 2 but forced a third set with a 9-7 tie-break win. He then led 2-1 in the third.
Malko trailed Markus Schleuter, 6-2, 3-2, at No. 5 and Lorentzen led Lander Jewett, 5-3, in the first set at No. 6.
SACRAMENTO STATE 4, MONTANA STATE 0
1. Pawel Turzanski/Fletcher Keyes (MSU) led Kiryl Harbatsiuk/Marko Starcevic, 7-6
2. Jason Smith/Aliaksandr Malko (SAC) def. Diego Contreras Campos/Alberto Fuetes, 8-3
3. Javier Millan/Josh Lorentzen (SAC) def. Markus Schleuter/Prithiv Sivasubramaniam, 8-4.
1. Kiryl Harbatsiuk (SAC) def. Pawel Turzanski, 6-2, 6-2
2. Jason Smith (SAC) led Fletcher Keyes, 4-6, 7-6 (9-7), 2-1
3. Marko Starcevic (SAC) def. Alberto Fuentes, 4-6, 6-1, 6-2
4. Javier Millan (SAC) def. Diego Contreras Campos, 2-6, 7-6 (7-2), 6-0
5. Markus Schleuter (MSU) led Aliaksandr Malko, 6-2, 3-2
6. Josh Lorentzen (SAC) led Lander Jewett, 5-3
Singles Order of Finish: 1, 3, 4