MEN'S TENNIS BLANKS NORTHERN COLORADO TO WIN FOURTH BIG MATCH IN A ROW
GREELEY, Colo. — The Sacramento State men's tennis did not drop a set, and lost just 18 of the 90 games, en route to a 7-0 win over Northern Colorado on Friday.
With the win, the Hornets improved to 5-5 overall and 4-1 in Big Sky Conference play. The Bears fell to 0-8 overall and 0-4 in league action.
Sacramento State wasted little time staking itself to a lead, winning all three doubles matches. Jimmy Roberts and Joe DeGuzman posted the first victory with an 8-1 win at No. 3. Jason Smith and Holden Ching then won 8-3 at No. 1. The final match was claime dby Marko Starcevik and Kiryl Harbatsiuk, 8-4.
In singles play, no Hornet player lost more than three games in any set, despite the fact that Anton Stryhas, who normally plays No. 1, was held out of the lineup.
Starcevik opened the scoring with a 6-2, 6-0, win at No. 4. Sacramento State's lead moved to 3-0 with a 6-1, 6-2, victory by Smith at No. 2. The clinching point of the match came from Ching who downed Ryan Lane, 6-1, 6-3, at No. 3.
The Hornets completed the sweep with a 6-3, 6-3, win from Harbatsiuk at No. 1, a 6-1, 6-0, victory by Roberts at No. 6, and a 6-1, 6-1, decision by DeGuzman at No. 5.
Sacramento State returns to the courts this evening when it faces Denver at 6 p.m.
Sacramento State 7, Northern Colorado 0
1. HARBATSIUK, Kiryl (SAC) def. VAN LIER, Calix (NC) 6-3, 6-3
2. SMITH, Jason (SAC) def. EDWARDS, Robbie (NC) 6-1, 6-2
3. CHING, Holden (SAC) def. LANE, Ryan (NC) 6-1, 6-3
4. STARCEVIC, Marko (SAC) def. BUCHANAN, Connor (NC) 6-2, 6-0
5. DeGUZMAN, Joe (SAC) def. DAY, Travis (NC) 6-1, 6-1
6. ROBERTS, Jimmy (SAC) def. LEPINE, Andre (NC) 6-1, 6-0
1. SMITH, Jason/CHING, Holden (SAC) def. VAN LIER, Calix/LANE, Ryan (NC) 8-3
2. STARCEVIC, Marko/HARBATSIUK, Kiryl (SAC) def. EDWARDS, Robbie/DAY, Travis (NC) 8-4
3. ROBERTS, Jimmy/DeGUZMAN, Joe (SAC) def. LEPINE, Andre/BUCHANAN, Connor (NC) 8-1
Sacramento State 5-5, 4-1
Northern Colorado 0-8, 0-4
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (4,2,3,1,6,5)