MEN'S TENNIS FALLS AT #12 TULSA
TULSA, Okla. – The Sacramento State men’s tennis team lost to a top-20 nationally ranked opponent for the fourth time today, falling at 12th-ranked Tulsa, 6-1,at the Case Tennis Center.
Sacramento State, which was playing its second match in as many days, dropped to 1-4 with the loss. All four of the team’s losses this season have come against opponents that were ranked among the top 18 teams in the nation, comprised of No. 6 USC, No. 11 Stanford, No. 12 Tulsa and No. 18 Oklahoma State. The Hornets suffered a heart-breaking 4-3 loss to Oklahoma State yesterday.
Tulsa, who has won each of the last three Conference USA championships, improved to 8-1 with the win.
Tulsa’s doubles teams made it a clean sweep over the Hornets behind an 8-5 win for the 4th-ranked duo of senior Arnau Burgues and junior Philip Stephens over sophomore Kiryl Harbatsiuk and junior Anton Stryhas.
In the No. 3 doubles match, freshmen Rusty Turpin and Patrick Collins beat Hornet freshman Jason Smith and sophomore Artur Klimenka, 8-4.
On the singles side, the only point for the Hornets came at No. 5, where sophomore Marko Starcevic defeated junior Marko Ballock in straight sets 6-2, 6-4. At No. 3, junior Holden Ching was able to force an extra frame during his loss to 91st-ranked Philip Stephens 3-6, 6-4, 6-2. At No. 1, Harbatsuik battled 10th-ranked Burgues before falling in straight sets 7-5, 6-1.
The Hornets finish their three-day, three-match Tulsa road trip with a matchup against the Wichita State Shockers Sunday morning at 9:30 a.m. PST. After which the Hornets will take a 13-day break before resuming their season Feb. 20 for the Big Sky Conference opener at Eastern Washington.
Sacramento State vs Tulsa
Feb 07, 2009 at Tulsa, Oklahoma
(Michael D. Case Tennis Center)
#12 Tulsa 6, Sacramento State 1
1. #10 Arnau Brugues (TUL) def. HARBATSIUK, Kiryl (SAC) 7-5, 6-1
2. Victor Kolik (TUL) def. STRYHAS, Anton (SAC) 6-4, 6-3
3. #91 Philip Stephens (TUL) def. CHING, Holden (SAC) 3-6, 6-4, 6-2
4. Ashley Watling (TUL) def. SMITH, Jason (SAC) 6-1, 6-4
5. STARCEVIC, Marko (SAC) def. Marko Ballock (TUL) 6-2, 6-4
6. James Seagraves (TUL) def. ROBERTS, Jimmy (SAC) 7-5, 7-6
1. #4 Arnau Brugues/Philip Stephens (TUL) def. HARBATSIUK, Kiryl/STRYHAS, Anton (SAC) 8-5
2. Alberto Sottocorno/Ashley Watling (TUL) def. STARCEVIC, Marko/CHING, Holden (SAC) 8-2
3. Rusty Turpin/Patrick Collins (TUL) def. KLIMENKA, Artur/SMITH, Jason (SAC) 8-4
Sacramento State 1-4
Tulsa 8-1; National ranking #12
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (4,5,1,6,3,2)