MENâ€™S TENNIS REMAINS PERFECT IN BIG SKY WITH VICTORY OVER EASTERN WASHINGTON
SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- With the match tied at 3-3, Sacramento State junior Sven-David Rueff was able to defeat Eastern Washington’s Kenneth Norling, 6-3, 6-7, 6-4 to clinch a 4-3 Hornet victory in a Big Sky Conference men’s tennis match Friday afternoon at Rio Del Oro Racquet Club.
With the win, Sacramento State won its sixth match in a row while improving to 11-7 overall and 5-0 in the Big Sky. The Hornets, who are seeking their second consecutive conference title, have just three Big Sky matches remaining on the schedule.
Eastern Washington suffered its first conference loss of the season, falling to 10-6 overall and 3-1.
Rueff’s match at No. 5 singles was the last contest of the day, with the winner delivering victory for their team. Rueff was able to come through, winning his seventh consecutive singles match and improving the Hornets’ winning streak over Big Sky teams to 14 straight (including playoffs) dating back to last season.
Also winning at singles for the Hornets were sophomore Anton Stryhas at No. 1 (6-3, 6-1), freshman Artur Klimenka at No. 3 (6-1, 1-6, 7-5) and sophomore Holden Ching (6-1, 6-4).
Eastern Washington began the match by picking up the doubles point, winning two of the three doubles competitions. The Eagles also picked up wins at Nos. 2 and 6 singles.
Stryhas has now won 15 consecutive singles matches and is 17-1 this season, including 6-0 at No. 1, 10-1 at No. 2, and 1-0 at No. 3.
The Hornets complete their two-day, three-match homestand tomorrow for a rare doubleheader against Weber State (10 a.m.) and Idaho State (2 p.m.).
Sacramento State 4, Eastern Washington 3
1. Anton Stryhas/Kiryl Harbatsiuk (SAC) def. Kyle Schraeder/Pannhara Mam (EWU), 8-2
2. Jonathan Davis/Patrick Millican (EWU) def. Artur Klimenka/Sven-David Rueff (SAC), 8-4
3. Nico Riego de Dios/Art Karas (EWU) def. Holden Ching/Ronan Conlon (SAC), 8-4
Order of Finish: 1, 2, 3
1. Anton Stryhas (SAC) def. Kyle Schraeder (EWU), 6-3, 6-1
2. Pannhara Mam (EWU) def. Kiryl Harbatsiuk (SAC), 3-6, 6-4, 7-5
3. Artur Klimenka (SAC) def. Nico Riego de Dios (EWU), 6-1, 1-6, 7-5
4. Holden Ching (SAC) def. Art Karas (EWU), 6-1, 6-4
5. Sven-David Rueff (SAC) def. Kenneth Norling, (EWU), 6-3, 6-7 (7), 6-4
6. Daniel Pez (EWU) def. Ronan Conlon (SAC), 6-0, 6-3
Order of Finish: 4, 1, 6, 3, 2, 5