MEN'S TENNIS WINS BIG SKY OPENER OVER NAU 6-1
FLAGSTAFF, Ariz. - The Sacramento State men's tennis team was victorious in its conference opener, 6-1, over Northern Arizona on Saturday, March 15 at the Flagstaff Athletic Club.
With the victory, the Hornets improve to 7-7 on the season, 1-0 in the Big Sky, while the Lumberjacks fall to 2-12, 1-2 in Big Sky play
The team's split the first two doubles matches to finish, as the Hornet tandem of freshman Kiryl Harbatsiuk and sophomore Anton Stryhas took home an 8-6 victory at No. 1 doubles, but NAU followed up a victory at No. 2 doubles. The doubles point came down to the final position, where Hornet freshman Artur Klimenka and junior Sven-David Rueff took home a 9-8 tiebreak victory over David Flodberg and Jacob Tracy.
The Hornets clinched the match early in singles play, as Sacramento State won the first four singles matches to finish before securing the 6-1 victory. Leading the way was Harbatsiuk at No. 2 singles, where the No. 121 ranked player in the country gave the Hornets a 2-0 lead with his 6-3, 6-3 straight set victory over Bradley Bristow. Sophomore Holden Ching tallied the next point for the Hornets, taking down Jacob Tracy at No. 4 singles in quick fashion, winning 6-2, 6-2. The match clincher came at No. 3 singles, as Klimenka defeated Chris Arena in a hard fought three-set affair, 6-3, 3-6, 6-3.
Stryhas continued his hot play at No. 1 singles, taking down Jeffrey Morys 4-6, 6-0, 6-2 to record his 11th straight singles victory. Stryhas and Harbatsiuk's doubles victory was their sixth straight win, giving Stryhas an overall 17 match winning streak combining singles and doubles.
The Hornets play their second straight Big Sky Conference road match on Sunday, as they travel to Northern Colorado.
Sacramento State 6, Northern Arizona 1
1. Anton Stryhas (SAC) def. Jeffrey Morys (NAU) 4-6, 6-0, 6-2
2. No. 121 Kiryl Harbatsiuk (SAC) def. Bradley Bristow (NAU) 6-3, 6-3
3. Artur Klimenka (SAC) def. Chris Arena (NAU) 6-3, 3-6, 6-3
4. Holden Ching (SAC) def. Jacob Tracy (NAU) 6-2, 6-2
5. David Flodberg (NAU) def. Ronan Conlon (SAC) 6-3, 6-2
6. Sven-David Rueff (SAC) def. Ryan Fraser (NAU) 6-4, 6-3
1. Kiryl Harbatsiuk/Anton Stryhas (SAC) def. Chris Arena/Bradley Bristow (NAU) 8-6
2. Ryan Fraser/Jeffrey Morys (NAU) def. Holden Ching/Ronan Conlon (SAC) 8-6
3. Artur Klimenka/Sven-David Rueff (SAC) def. David Flodberg/Jacob Tracy (NAU) 9-8 (5-0)
Sacramento State (7-7, 1-0 BSC)
Northern Arizona (2-12, 1-2 BSC)
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (2,4,3,1,5,6)