STRYHAS AND KLIMENKA WIN, BUT MENâ€™S TENNIS FALLS TO USF, 5-2
SAN FRANCISCO -- Sacramento State freshman Artur Klimenka and sophomore Anton Stryhas both posted straight set victories, but it was not enough as San Francisco defeated the Hornets, 5-2, in a non-conference men’s tennis match Friday afternoon at the Olympic Club.
With the victory, San Francisco improved to 6-3 and won for the third time in four matches. Sacramento State dropped to 5-6 with the loss.
San Francisco began the match by squeaking out the doubles point. The Hornets and Dons split the first two matches, before USF’s duo of Torin Ching and Mitch Del Rosario defeated the Hornets’ Holden Ching and Ronan Conlon, 9-8 (7-5 in the tiebreaker), to gain the doubles point.
USF took a 2-0 lead after Rainer Nachbauer won at No. 4 singles, but the Hornets quickly tied the match at 2-2 after Klimenka (6-1, 6-2) and Stryhas (6-2, 6-2) were both victorious. However, the Dons won the final three singles matches, including narrow victories at No. 1 over the Hornets’ Kiryl Harbatsiuk (6-4, 6-7, 6-3) and No. 6 over Sven-David Rueff (7-6, 6-7, 10-4 in the super tiebreaker).
Stryhas continues dominate, having won eight singles matches in a row while improving to 10-1 this season.
Sacramento State returns to action for two more matches this weekend, beginning tomorrow at Saint Mary’s (1 p.m.) and concluding Sunday at Santa Clara (1 p.m.).
San Francisco 5, Sacramento State 2
1. Kiryl Harbatsiuk/Anton Stryhas (SAC) def. Falko Huettenberger/Asaf Cohen (USF), 8-2
2. Thong Tu/Rainer Nachbauer (USF) def. Sven-David Rueff/Artur Klimenka (SAC), 8-6
3. Torin Ching/Mitch Del Rosario (USF) def. Holden Ching/Ronan Conlon (SAC), 9-8 (5)
Order of Finish: 1, 2, 3
1. Thong Tu (USF) def. Kiryl Harbatsiuk (SAC), 6-4, 6-7, 6-3
2. Anton Stryhas (SAC) def. Asaf Cohen (USF), 6-2, 6-2
3. Artur Klimenka (SAC) def. Einar Hart (USF), 6-1, 6-2
4. Rainer Nachbauer (USF) def. Holden Ching (SAC), 6-1, ret.
5. Falko Huettenberger (USF) def. Ronan Conlon (SAC) 6-2, 6-0
6. Mitch Del Rosario (USF) def. Sven-David Rueff (SAC) 7-6 (4), 6-7 (3), 10-4
Order of Finish: 4, 3, 2, 1, 5, 6