MEN'S TENNIS RALLIES IN FINAL THREE MATCHES FOR 4-3 WIN AT OREGON
EUGENE, Ore. — The Sacramento State men’s tennis team won the top three singles matches en route to a 4-3 win over Oregon, Sunday afternoon at the Student Tennis Center.
The Hornets improved to 2-0 on the season and won their second consecutive 4-3 match. The Ducks suffered their first loss of the year and fell to 3-1.
Oregon captured two of the three doubles matches to take an early 1-0 advantage. The Sacramento State tandem of Anton Stryhas and Kiryl Harbatsiuk recorded the lone win for the Hornets with an 8-4 victory at No. 1.
In singles play, Stryhas evened the match with an easy 6-0, 6-1, win over Alexander Cornelissen at No. 2. However, Oregon retook the lead with a 6-0, 6-0, victory at No. 6 by Stephen Wiechert over Ronan Conlon. The Ducks then posted their final point with a 6-2, 6-3, victory from Francisco Gallardo at No. 4.
With their backs against the wall, the Hornets won the final three singles matches to secure the win. Artur Klimenka started the run at No. 3 with a 6-3, 7-5 win. Harbatsiuk followed with a 6-2, 6-4, victory at No. 1 over Marcos Verdasco to tie the match, 3-3.
With the five previous singles matches ending in straight sets, all eyes turned to the No. 5 match. Oregon’s Mike Myrhed took the first set 6-2 but Holden Ching rallied to tie the contest with a 7-5 win in the second set. The two players battled in the third frame and needed a tie-breaker after being tied 6-6. Ching ended the contest with a 7-2 victory in the tie-breaker to earn his first victory of the season.
Sacramento State will next be in action on Feb. 9 at Loyola Marymount.
Sacramento State 4, Oregon 3
1) Anton Stryhas/Kiryl Harbatsiuk (SAC) def. Marcos Verdasco/Francisco Gallardo (ORE), 8-4
2) Mike Myrhed/Alexander Cornelissen (ORE) def. Holden Ching/Artur Klimenka (SAC), 8-4
3) Geoff Embry/Stephen Wiechert (ORE) def. Sven Rueff/Ronan Conlon (SAC), 8-3
1) Kiryl Harbatsiuk (SAC) def. Marcos Verdasco (ORE), 6-2, 6-4
2) Anton Stryhas (SAC) def. Alexander Cornelissen (ORE), 6-0, 6-1
3) Artur Klimenka (SAC) def. Romeo Mortera (ORE), 6-3, 7-5
4) Francisco Gallardo (ORE) def. Sven-David Rueff (SAC), 6-2, 6-3
5) Holden Ching (SAC) def. Mike Myrhed (ORE), 2-6, 7-5, 7-6 (7-2)
6) Stephen Wiechert (ORE) def. Ronan Conlon (SAC), 6-0, 6-0
Order of finish: 2, 6, 4, 3, 1, 5