MEN'S TENNIS DOWNS BUFFALO IN FIRST DUAL MATCH OF THE SEASON, 4-3
GOLD RIVER, Calif. - Behind singles victories from junior Sven-David Rueff, sophomore Anton Stryhas and freshman Kiryl Harbatsiuk, and a sweep of the doubles point, Sacramento State's men's tennis team defeated the visiting Buffalo Bulls, 4-3, on Sunday, Jan. 20 at Rio Del Oro Racquet Club.
The match marked the first of the spring dual season for the men's team, who improve to 1-0, while Buffalo falls to 0-2.
The Hornets started the day strong with a sweep of the doubles point, as the No. 3 doubles tandem of Rueff and freshman Ronan Conlon started things off with an 8-2 victory over Alexis Lluis and Eric Rothstein. The No. 2 duo of freshman Artur Klimenka and sophomore Holden Ching then wrapped up the point with an 8-3 win over Nikesh Singh Panthlia and Octavian Stain. Even with the doubles point secured, the No. 1 tandem of Stryhas and Harbatsiuk fought hard to pull out a 9-8 victory over Kirill Kolomytes and Marcelo Mazzetto, as the duo one the tiebreak 10-8.
The singles action saw the Hornets victorious in the odd numeral positions, with Harbatsiuk, Stryhas and Rueff winning at the No. 1, 3, and 5 positions respectively. Harbatsiuk made short work of Singh Panthlia, 6-2, 6-2, while Stryhas downed Mazzetto by the same mark. Rueff was victorious by a large margin as well, defeating Lluis 6-2, 6-3.
The match served as a homecoming for Buffalo coach Sherif Zaher, who competed for the Hornets during the 2000-01 and 01-02 seasons, earning Big Sky MVP both seasons, before becoming the head coach at Sacramento State for three seasons (2002-03 through 2004-05).
1. Kiryl Harbatsiuk (SAC) def. N. Singh Panthlia (BUFFALO) 6-2, 6-2
2. Kirill Kolomytes (BUFFALO) def. Artur Klimenka (SAC) 6-3, 7-5
3. Anton Stryhas (SAC) def. Marcelo Mazzetto (BUFFALO) 6-2, 6-2
4. Octavian Stain (BUFFALO) def. Holden Ching (SAC) 1-6, 7-5, 1-0 (12-10)
5. Sven-David Rueff (SAC) def. Alexis Lluis (BUFFALO) 6-2, 6-3
6. Eric Rothstein (BUFFALO) def. Ronan Conlon (SAC) 7-6 (9-7), 6-0
1. Anton Stryhas/Kiryl Harbatsiuk (SAC) def. Kirill Kolomytes/Marcelo Mazzetto (BUFFALO) 9-8 (10-8)
2. Artur Klimenka/Holden Ching (SAC) def. N. Singh Panthlia/Octavian Stain (BUFFALO) 8-3
3. Sven-David Rueff/Ronan Conlon (SAC) def. Alexis Lluis/Eric Rothstein (BUFFALO) 8-2
Sacramento State 1-0