MENâ€™S TENNIS FINISHES BOISE STATE TOURNAMENT WITH A 3-1 RECORD AND FIFTH PLACE FINISH
BOISE, Idaho -- The Sacramento State men’s tennis team concluded the Boise State Spring Break Tournament with a 6-1 victory over Portland on Saturday afternoon at the Boise Racquet and Swim Club.
With the victory, the Hornets posted a 3-1 record at the four-day, double elimination tournament. Sacramento State placed fifth out of 16 teams, which included a 7-0 victory yesterday over 67th ranked Central Florida. Playing the best tennis in years, the Hornets have now won 10 of their last 11 matches with the lone blemish over that span coming against tournament host Boise State on Wednesday. Boise State won the tournament championship today with a victory over Georgia State.
Overall, Sacramento State is now 14-4 and just completed a grueling stretch in which the team played eight matches over 10 days. Among those eight matches were four victories against Big Sky Conference opposition, as the Hornets have already clinched the No. 1 seed for next month’s Big Sky Tournament in Sacramento (April 27-29).
With the loss, Portland, which had won five of six going into the match, dropped to 10-6 overall.
The Pilots began things by winning two of the three doubles matches to gain the first point of the match. Sacramento State’s teams of Anton Stryhas/Gabriel Loredo (No. 1), and Warwick Foy/Ramon Perez (No. 3) each lost for just the second time all year. Perez/Foy dropped to 14-2 in doubles play while Stryhas/Loredo fell to 12-2.
The Hornets bounced back by winning all six singles matches in straight sets. Freshmen Xavier Barajas-Smith (No. 1), Stryhas (No. 2) and Tim Lantin (No. 6), and seniors Loredo (No. 3), Perez (No. 4) and Foy (No. 5) were each victorious. The Hornets’ top six players have now combined for an 80-21 singles record this season, including a team-best 15-3 marks from both Loredo and Stryhas.
The Hornets will take a week off before returning to action on Saturday, April 7, when the team hosts San Francisco at 1 p.m.
Sacramento State 6, Portland 1
1. Filip Zivkovic/Scott Kennel (POR) def. Anton Stryhas/Gabriel Loredo (SAC), 8-4
2. Xavier Barajas-Smith/Hague Van Dillen (SAC) def. Alex Strom/Charlie Yemm (POR), 9-8 (5)
3. Joel Kincaid/Evan Schleining (POR) def. Warwick Foy/Ramon Perez (SAC), 8-6
1. Xavier Barajas-Smith (SAC) def. Alex Strom (POR), 6-2, 7-6 (2)
2. Anton Stryhas (SAC) def. Filip Zivkovic (POR), 6-3, 6-4
3. Gabriel Loredo (SAC) def. Joel Kincaid (POR), 6-1, 6-2
4. Ramon Perez (SAC) def. Charlie Yemm (POR), 7-5, 6-1
5. Warwick Foy (SAC) def. Evan Schleining (POR), 7-5, 6-0
6. Tim Lantin (SAC) def. Scott Kennnel (POR), 7-5, 6-3