MENâ€™S TENNIS CONTINUES TO IMPRESS WITH VICTORY OVER NATIONALLY RANKED CENTRAL FLORIDA
BOISE, Idaho -- Playing for the seventh time in nine days, the Sacramento State men’s tennis team swept all three doubles matches and all six singles matches on the way to a 7-0 victory over 67th-ranked Central Florida Friday afternoon at the Boise State Spring Break Tournament.
Sacramento State, which improved to 13-4, has now won 10 of its last 11, and 13 of its last 15 matches. Despite playing seven matches over the last nine days, Sacramento State has posted a 6-1 record over that span with the only loss coming on Wednesday to 19th-ranked Boise State. The loss dropped Central Florida to 12-7.
The win was the Hornets’ second over a ranked opponent this season, as the team also knocked off 74th-ranked Cal Poly (6-1) on Feb. 18. The Intercollegiate Tennis Association ranks the top 75 Div. I teams in the nation.
Sacramento State began the match by easily winning all three doubles matches by scores of 8-2, 8-5 and 8-1. The tandem of Gabriel Loredo and Anton Stryhas won at No. 1, 8-2, and the team is now 12-1 in doubles play this season. Ramon Perez and Warwick Foy won at No. 3 by the score of 8-1 and they moved their doubles record to 14-1.
In singles play, the only Hornet to win easily was freshman Tim Lantin who knocked off Danny Colon at No. 6 by the score of 6-3, 6-2. The remaining five singles matches either went three sets or contained a tiebreaker during one of the sets. Sacramento State came out on top in each match, including freshman Xavier Barajas-Smith winning at No. 1 by the score of 6-2, 7-6 (2).
Stryhas (No. 2; 6-3, 7-6), Loredo (No. 3; 7-5, 3-6, 6-1), Perez (No. 4; 6-2, 4-6, 6-4) and Foy (No. 5; 3-6, 6-3, 6-2) rounded out the Hornets’ singles players to win their matches today.
Sacramento State concludes tournament play tomorrow (Saturday, March 31) against Portland at 1 p.m.
Sacramento State 7, #67 Central Florida 0
1. Anton Stryhas/Gabriel Loredo (SAC) def. Norman Alcantara/Brock Sakey (UCF) 8-2
2. Xavier Barajas-Smith/Hague Van Dillen (SAC) def. Johan Beigart/Sinan Sudas (UCF) 8-5
3. Warwick Foy/Ramon Perez (SAC) def. Ener Gursoy/Danny Colón (UCF) 8-1
1. Xavier Barajas-Smith (SAC) def. Tarek Ben Soltane (UCF) 6-2, 7-6 (2)
2. Anton Stryhas (SAC) def. Sinan Sudas (UCF) 6-3, 7-6 (2)
3. Gabriel Loredo (SAC) def. Johan Beigart (UCF) 7-5, 3-6, 6-1
4. Ramon Perez (SAC) def. Norman Alcantara (UCF) 6-2, 4-6, 6-4
5. Warwick Foy (SAC) def. Brock Sakey (UCF) 3-6, 6-3, 6-2
6. Tim Lantin (SAC) def. Danny Colón (UCF) 6-3, 6-2