MENâ€™S TENNIS BEATS NORTHERN ARIZONA, WILL PLAY EASTERN WASHINGTON FOR BIG SKY TITLE ON SUNDAY
GOLD RIVER, Calif. -- Top seed Sacramento State defeated No. 4 Northern Arizona (4-0), and No. 3 seed Eastern Washington knocked off No. 2 Montana (4-0) in the Big Sky Conference Men’s Tennis Tournament semifinals Saturday afternoon at the Gold River Racquet Club.
Sacramento State and Eastern Washington will square off for the Big Sky Conference championship tomorrow (Sunday, April 29) at 10 a.m. The winner receives an automatic berth into the NCAA Tournament, which begins on May 11. The Hornets will be seeking their sixth conference title in the last 10 years, and first since 2003. Sacramento State won the title in 1998-99, and 2001-03.
Eastern Washington, which has never won a Big Sky men’s tennis title, improved its record to 13-11 with its victory. Sacramento State improved to 19-5 overall, and defeated Eastern Washington, 6-1, earlier this season in Cheney, Wash. The Hornets completed the regular season with a 7-0 Big Sky record while the Eagles were 5-2 with conference losses coming against Sacramento State and Montana.
For the Hornets, freshmen Xavier Barajas-Smith (No. 1; 6-1, 6-0) and Anton Stryhas (No. 2, 6-3, 6-0), and senior Warwick Foy (No. 5; 6-2, 6-0) each posted singles victories after Sacramento State had already won the doubles point. Stryhas’ victory clinched the win for the Hornets. Freshman Tim Lantin and senior Gabriel Loredo had already won their first sets when the match was ended because Sacramento State already had the necessary four points for victory.
After winning the doubles point, Eastern Washington’s Pannhara Mam (No. 1; 6-2, 6-1), Kyle Schraeder (No. 2; 6-1, 6-1) and Nico Reigo de Dios (No. 5; 6-2, 6-3) each posted singles victories to gain the necessary four points for victory.
The women’s semifinals will take place later today at 2 p.m. at the Gold River Racquet Club.
Big Sky Conference Men's Tennis Tournament Semifinals
Gold River Racquet Club (Gold River, Calif.)
Sacramento State 4, Northern Arizona 0
1. Xavier Barajas-Smith (SAC) def. Gareth Ducray (NAU), 6-1, 6-0
2. Anton Stryhas (SAC) def. Fernando Freitas (NAU), 6-3, 6-0
3. Gabriel Loredo (SAC) led Michael Platzer (NAU), 6-2, 3-5 DNF
4. Jeffrey Morys (NAU) led Ramon Perez (SAC), 6-2, 0-2 DNF
5. Warwick Foy (SAC) def. Bradley Bristow (NAU), 6-2, 6-0
6. Tim Lantin (SAC) led Chris Arena (NAU), 7-5, 1-2 DNF
(Order of finish: 1, 5, 2)
1. Stryhas/Loredo (SAC) def. Morys/Platzer (NAU), 8-6
2. Arena/Ducray (NAU) def. Barajas-Smith/Hague Van Dillen (SAC), 9-7
3. Perez/Foy (SAC) def. Bristow/Freitas (NAU), 8-5
(Order of finish: 3, 2, 1)
Eastern Washington 4, Montana 0
1. Pannhara Mam (EWU) def. Stuart Wing (UM), 6-2, 6-1
2. Kyle Schraeder (EWU) def. Colin Dektar (UM), 6-1, 6-1
3. Felipe Raw (UM) led Patrick Millican (EWU), 7-6, 2-2
4. Raydner Ramos (UM) led Keithan Gregg (EWU), 6-4, 5-3
5. Nico Riego de Dios (EWU) def. Mikolaj Borkowski (UM), 6-2, 6-3
6. Art Karas (EWU) led Brady Tommerup (UM), 6-2, 5-6
(Order of finish: 2, 5, 1)
1. Dektar/Ramos (UM) def. Davis/Millican (EWU), 8-6
2. Schraeder/Mam (EWU) def. Wing/Raw (UM), 8-6
3. Gregg/Erickson (EWU) def. Tommerup/Borkowski (UM), 8-5
(Order of finish: 3,1,2)