MENâ€™S TENNIS COMPLETES DOUBLEHEADER ROAD SWEEP OF WEBER STATE AND IDAHO STATE
POCATELLO, Idaho -- The Sacramento State men’s tennis team was victorious in both matches of a rare road doubleheader, knocking off Weber State, 7-0, in Ogden, Utah, before bussing two hours to Pocatello, Idaho, where the team then defeated Idaho State, 6-1.
Both matches were conference contests as the Hornets improved to 7-3 overall and 3-0 in the Big Sky. The Hornets have now won three straight and six of their last seven after beginning the season 1-2. In addition, Sacramento State can gain a stronghold on the Big Sky over the next eight days as the team will play four home matches against conference competition over that span. The season-long four match homestand begins Thursday, March 22, against Northern Colorado at 1 p.m.
Sacramento State was dominant today, losing just one singles match and one doubles match. The Hornets’ Anton Stryhas (No. 2), Gabriel Loredo (No. 3), Warwick Foy (No. 4), Ramon Perez (No. 5) and Tim Lantin (No. 6) each won both their singles matches in straight sets. Loredo lost just one game over the course of his two matches, and Foy dropped a combined three games.
The only Hornet to lose in singles play was freshman Xavier Barajas-Smith, who dropped his first match of the season. He fell to Idaho State’s Gal Horovits, 6-2, 6-4, but bounced back later in the day to knock off Weber’s Fabio Mancarella, 7-5, 6-3. Barajas-Smith is now a team-best 8-1 in singles play this season.
Loredo, Stryhas, Foy and Perez were each perfect in both singles and doubles play as the tandems of Loredo/Stryhas (No. 1) and Foy/Perez (No. 3) each won their doubles matches. Foy and Perez continued their dominance in doubles as the pair improved their record to 9-1.
Sacramento State, which is hosting this year’s Big Sky Tournament on April 27-29, is seeking its first conference championship since the 2003 season. The next eight days should give a good glimpse into whether the team will be up to the challenge this season.
Sacramento State 7, Weber State 0
1. Loredo/Stryhas (SAC) def. Schnabl/Covington (WSU), 8-1
2. Mancarella/Hintze (WSU) def. Barajas-Smith/Van Dillen (SAC), 9-7
3. Foy/Perez (SAC) def. Allred/Paterson (WSU), 8-6
1. Xavier Barajas-Smith (SAC) def. Fabio Mancarella (WSU), 7-5, 6-3
2. Anton Stryhas (SAC) def. Mario Schnabl (WSU), 7-6, 6-1
3. Gabriel Loredo (SAC) def. Dave Hintze (WSU), 6-0, 6-1
4. Warwick Foy (SAC) def. Chris Williams (WSU), 6-1, 6-1
5. Ramon Perez (SAC) def. Cole Paterson (WSU), 6-2, 6-3
6. Tim Lantin (SAC) def. Trevor Thompson (WSU), 6-4, 6-2
Sacramento State 6, Idaho State 1
1. Loredo/Stryhas (SAC) def. Ruwo/Horovits (ISU) 8-3
2. Barajas-Smith/Van Dillen (SAC) def. Lockie/Leask (ISU) 8-0
3. Foy/Perez (SAC) def. Atkin/Kutchins (ISU) 8-1
1. Gal Horovits (ISU) def. Xavier Barajas-Smith (SAC) 6-2, 6-4
2. Anton Stryhas (SAC) def. Masimba Ruwo (ISU) 6-4, 6-1
3. Gabriel Loredo (SAC) def. Jeremy Atkin (ISU) 6-0, 6-0
4. Warwick Foy (SAC) def. Jordan Leask (ISU) 6-1, 6-0
5. Ramon Perez (SAC) def. Ben Lockie (ISU) 6-0, 6-0
6. Tim Lantin (SAC) def. David Kutchins (ISU) 6-0, 6-1