MENâ€™S TENNIS WINNING STREAK COMES TO A CLOSE AT 66TH-RANKED NEW MEXICO
ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. -- Despite getting the doubles points, and receiving singles victories from freshmen Xavier Barajas-Smith and Anton Stryhas, Sacramento State fell to 66th-ranked New Mexico, 4-3, in a men’s tennis match Sunday afternoon at the Lobo Tennis Club.
One day after knocking off New Mexico State, the 74th-ranked Hornets had their three-game winning streak snapped. With the loss, Sacramento State dropped to 4-3 overall. After playing each of their first seven games of the season away from home, the Hornets will finally play in Sacramento next weekend against Saint Mary’s.
With the victory, New Mexico improved to 6-2, including a perfect 5-0 at home.
The Hornets received doubles victories from No. 1 tandem Stryhas and Gabriel Loredo (8-5) and the No. 3 tandem of Warwick Foy and Ramon Perez (8-5) to get the doubles point.
However, Sacramento State’s momentum did not carry into singles play as the Lobos won four of the six singles matches to squeak out the victory. Barajas-Smith remained perfect in singles play this spring (6-0), defeating Graeme Kassautzki, 4-6, 6-3, 7-6 (5) at the No. 1 spot. At No. 2, Stryhas improved his record to 6-1 this year with an easy 6-4, 6-0 win over Johnny Parkes.
New Mexico was able to win at the Nos. 3-6 singles spots, with each victory coming in straight sets. Foy kept his match close at No. 4, but finally lost to Miles Bugby, 6-4, 7-6 (2). Ramon Perez lost his match at No. 6 to Chris Parkes, 7-5, 6-3.
Foy and Perez continued their dominance in doubles play this season, improving to 7-0 as the Hornets’ No. 3 doubles team.
The Hornets return to action on Saturday, March 10, when the team hosts Saint Mary’s at 1 p.m. The team will play the Gaels on the Sacramento State campus for the only time this season. All other home matches this year will take place at Rio Del Oro Racquet Club.
New Mexico 4, Sacramento State 3
1. Stryhas/Loredo (Sac State) def. Pajkowski/Jones (UNM) 8-5
2. J. Parkes/C. Parkes (UNM) def. Van Dillen/Barajas-Smith (Sac State) 8-1
3. Foy/Perez (Sac State) def. Kassautzki/Bugby (UNM) 8-5
1. Xavier Barajas-Smith (Sac State) def. Graeme Kassautzki (UNM) 4-6, 6-3, 7-6 (5)
2. Anton Stryhas (Sac State) def. Johnny Parkes (UNM) 6-4, 6-0
3. Max Jones (UNM) def. Gabriel Loredo (Sac State) 6-3, 6-3
4. Miles Bugby (UNM) def. Warwick Foy (Sac State) 6-4, 7-6 (2)
5. Kamil Pajkowski (UNM) def. Tim Lantin (Sac State) 6-1, 6-1
6. Chris Parkes (UNM) def. Ramon Perez (Sac State) 7-5, 6-3