MENâ€™S TENNIS BEGINS BIG SKY CONFERENCE PLAY WITH VICTORY OVER EASTERN WASHINGTON
CHENEY, Wash. -- Xavier Barajas-Smith, Anton Stryhas, Gabriel Loredo and Hague Van Dillen each picked up straight-set singles victories to lead Sacramento State to a 6-1 win over Eastern Washington in a Big Sky Conference tennis match Saturday afternoon.
The match was the first conference contest of the season for Sacramento State as the team improved to 1-1 overall and 1-0 in the Big Sky. With the loss, Eastern Washington dropped to 3-3 and 1-1 in the conference.
The Hornets’ doubles tandems of Barajas-Smith/Stryhas (No. 2) and Warwick Foy/Ramon Perez (No. 3) each picked up victories to give Sacramento State the doubles point to begin the match.
Barajas-Smith (No. 1; 6-4, 6-3), Stryhas (No. 2, 6-2, 7-6), Loredo (No. 3, 6-2, 6-2), Foy (No. 4, 6-7, 6-1, 10-1) and Van Dillen (No. 6, 6-4, 6-4) each won in singles play to give the Hornets a 6-0 lead in the match. Miguel Camino (No. 5) was the only Hornet to lose, falling to Art Karas, 6-4, 6-2, long after the match had already been decided.
Sacramento State returns to action on Feb. 16-18, where the team will play three matches in San Luis Obispo, Calif. The Hornets will take on UC San Diego (Feb. 16), Nevada (Feb. 17) and Cal Poly (Feb. 18) during the three-day, three-match event.
Sacramento State 6, Eastern Washington 1
1. Xavier Barajas-Smith (Sac) def. Pannhara Mam (EWU), 6-4, 6-3
2. Anton Stryhas (Sac) def. Kyle Schraeder (EWU), 6-2, 7-6 (5)
3. Gabriel Loredo (Sac) def. Keithan Gregg (EWU), 6-2, 6-2
4. Warwick Foy (Sac) def. Daniel Pez (EWU), 6-7 (2), 6-1, (10-1)
5. Art Karas (EWU) def. Miguel Camino (Sac), 6-4, 6-2
6. Hague Van Dillen (Sac) def. Brian Garfield (EWU), 6-4, 6-4
1. Pannhara Mam/Kyle Schraeder (EWU) def. Gabriel Loredo/Hague Van Dillen (Sac), 8-3
2. Xavier Barajas-Smith/Anton Stryhas (Sac) def. Keithan Gregg/Art Karas (EWU), 9-7
3. Warwick Foy/Ramon Perez (Sac) def. Jonathan Davis/Daniel Pez (EWU), 8-3