MORAGA, Calif. --- Gabriel Loredo and Warwick Foy each picked up a pair of victories but it was not enough as the Sacramento State men''s tennis team was defeated by Saint Mary''s, 4-3, on Friday afternoon.
The pair were each victorious in doubles play as Sacramento State swept all three matches. Junaid Hossain and Loredo won at No. 1, 8-4, over Adam Fauvre and Tyler Jackson. Foy and Ramon Perez defeated Martin Marechal and Julien Tizot, 8-5, at No. 2, and Hague Van Dillen and Paul Komorniczak bettered Achim Christner and Yury Patonov at No. 3, 8-5.
Momentum turned, however, in singles play as the Gaels won four of the six matches. Christner and Alp Ozpinar had little trouble in their matches recording straight-set victories over Thomas Morton at No. 5 and Van Dillen at No. 6, respectively.
The Hornets also had a pair of two-set wins. Loredo downed Marechal, 7-5, 6-1, at No. 2 and Foy defeated Fauvre, 6-0, 7-6 (7-4) at No. 3.
The final two points of the match came in two three-set marathons. At No. 1, Tizot rallied for a 6-2, 6-7 (7-4), 6-3 victory over Hossain. Platonov secured the match for Saint Mary''s with a 6-1, 6-7 (8-6), 6-4, win over Perez at No. 4.
Sacramento State will next compete on Saturday as it hosts Gonzaga at Rio Del Oro R.C. The match is scheduled to start at 1 p.m.
Saint Mary''s 4, Sacramento State 3
1. Hossain/Loredo (SAC) def. Fauvre/Tyler Jackson, 8-4
2. Foy/Perez (SAC) def. Marechal/Tizot, 8-5
3. Van Dillen/Paul Komorniczak (SAC) def. Christner/Platonov, 8-5
1. Julien Tizot (SMC) def. Junaid Hossain, 6-2, 6-7 (7-4), 6-3
2. Gabriel Loredo (SAC) def. Martin Marechal, 7-5, 6-1
3. Warwick Foy (SAC) def. Adam Fauvre, 6-0, 7-6 (7-4)
4. Yury Platonov (SMC) def. Ramon Perez, 6-1, 6-7 (8-6), 6-4
5. Achim Christner (SMC) def. Thomas Morton, 6-2, 6-2
6. Alp Ozpinar (SMC) def. Hague Van Dillen, 6-3, 6-4