ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. --- The Sacramento State men''s tennis team opened its 2006 season with a 7-0 loss to host New Mexico on Thursday evening. The victory improved the Lobos, who are ranked 64th in Div. I, to 2-1 on the season while the Hornets dropped to 0-1.
New Mexico took a 1-0 lead in the match after winning the doubles point. The Lobos cruised to an 8-3 win at No. 2 where the team of Eric Conklin and Graeme Kassautzki downed Hague Van Dillern and Warwick Foy, 8-3. The other two doubles matches were pushed to the limit. Max Jones and Kamil Pajkowski defeated Junaid Hossain and Gabriel Loredo, 8-6, at No. 1 and Johnny Parkes and Chandler Brass downed Thomas Morton and Ramon Perez, 9-7.
Singles play was dominated by the Lobos as they took 12 of the 14 sets. Junaid Hossain and Gabriel Loredo at No. 1 and No. 2, respectively, were the only two players to push their match to three games for the Hornets. Hossain took the first set from Max Jones, 6-2, but Jones rebounded to win 6-3, 6-3. At No. 2, Parkes won the opener 6-1 before Loredo answered with a 7-6 victory in the second set. The match was decided in the third where Parkes won, 7-6.
The remaining four matches all were settled in two sets. Kassautzki beat Foy, 6-2, 6-0, at No. 3. Pajkowski handled Perez, 6-1, 6-0, at No. 4. Conklin downed Van Diller, 6-3, 6-2, at No. 5 and Brass overcame a tough first set to take Morton, 7-6, 6-1.
Sacramento State remains in Albuquerque to take on Illinois State on Friday.
Match Results for New Mexico vs. Sacramento State
1. Jones/Pajkowski (UNM) Def. Hossain/Loredo (SS) 8-6
2. Conklin/Kassautzki (UNM) Def. Van Dillen/Foy (SS) 8-3
3. Parkes/Brass (UNM) Def. Morton/Perez (SS) 9-7
1. Max Jones (UNM) Def. Junaid Hossain (SS) 2-6, 6-3, 6-3
2. Johnny Parkes (UNM) Def. Gabriel Loredo (SS) 6-1, 6-7,
3. Graeme Kassautzki (UNM) Def. Warwick Foy (SS) 6-2, 6-0
4. Kamil Pajkowski (UNM) Def. Ramon Perez (SS) 6-1, 6-0
5. Eric Conklin (UNM) Def. Hague Van Dillen (SS) 6-3, 6-2
6. Chandler Brass (UNM) Def. Thomas Morton (SS) 7-6, 6-1