No. 49 SANTA CLARA TOO MUCH FOR UNDERMANNED MEN'S TENNIS
Aliaksandr Malko extended his match to three sets before falling at No. 4 against Santa Clara.
SANTA CLARA, Calif. — The short-handed Sacramento State men's tennis team did not have enough fire power on Monday, falling at No. 49 Santa Clara, 7-0.
The Hornets, who were playing without thier top singles player Kiryl Harbatsiuk (flu), dropped to 12-13 on the season. The Broncos improved to 13-7.
Santa Clara took a quick 1-0 lead after winning the top two doubles matches. Maxime Armengaud and Nicolas VInel defeated Jason Smith and Marko Starcevic, 8-5, at No. 1. The other win came from Kyle Dandan and Tom Pham at No. 2 with an 8-1 win over Aliaksandr Malko and Javier Millan. The No. 3 doubles match was not completed.
In singles play, the Broncos won four of the six matches in straight sets. The exceptions came at Nos. 2 and 4. At No. 2, Armengaud outlasted Starcevic, 6-3, 6-7, 10-6 in a super tie-break. Pham bettered Malko, 6-2, 5-7, 6-1, in the lone match to go three full sets.
Sacramento State will next travel to Bozeman, Mont., for the 2011 Big Sky Championships. The Hornets enter the tournament as the top seed and will face fourth-seeded Northern Arizona in Saturday's semifinal.
Tennis Match Results
Sacramento State vs Santa Clara
Apr 18, 2011 at Santa Clara, Calif.
(Degheri Tennis Center)
#49 Santa Clara 7, Sacramento State 0
1. Kyle Dandan (SCU) def. SMITH, Jason (SAC) 7-5, 6-3
2. Maxime Armengaud (SCU) def. STARCEVIC, Marko (SAC) 6-3, 6-7, 10-6
3. John Lamble (SCU) def. MILLAN, Javier (SAC) 6-3, 6-3
4. Tom Pham (SCU) def. MALKO, Aliaksandr (SAC) 6-2, 5-7, 6-1
5. Nicolas Vinel (SCU) def. LORENTZEN, Josh (SAC) 6-3, 6-1
6. Keith Kamono (SCU) def. DIAZ, Daniel (SAC) 6-1, 6-3
1. Maxime Armengaud/Nicolas Vinel (SCU) def. SMITH, Jason/STARCEVIC, Marko (SAC) 8-5
2. Kyle Dandan/Tom Pham (SCU) def. MALKO, Aliaksandr/MILLAN, Javier (SAC) 8-1
3. John Lamble/Eugene Muchynski (SCU) vs. LORENTZEN, Josh/EMERY, Blake (SAC) 5-3, unfinished