STARCEVIC'S LATE WIN SEALS 4-3 VICTORY FOR MEN'S TENNIS AGAINST CAL POLY
SACRAMENTO, Calif. — Marko Starcevic's come-from-behind win helped lead the Sacramento State men's tennis team to a 4-3 win over Cal Poly, Saturday afternoon at the Rio Del Oro Racquet Club.
The victory improved the Hornets to 12-7 overall while the Mustangs dropped to 5-11.
With Sacramento State leading 3-2, Starcevic fell behind early in his No. 5 match, losing the first set 6-2 to Robert Foy — the brother of former Hornet standout Warrick Foy. In the second set, Foy appeared to be in charge, building a 4-1 lead before Starcevic rallied to win the set, 7-6 (7-5). The junior then sealed the win and the team victory by taking the third set, 6-2.
The Mustangs opened the match by winning two of the three doubles matches to take the point. Kiryl Harbatsiuk and Starcevic provided the lone win for Sacramento State when they claimed an 8-6 win at No. 1. The other two matches were both close but favored Cal Poly. Blake Wardman and Brian McPhee defeated Jason Smith and Jimmy Roberts, 8-6, at No. 3 and Jordan Bridge and Drew Jacobs outlasted Holding Ching and Anton Stryhas, 9-8 (11-9).
Once play turned to the singles matches, the Hornets were able to move ahead by winning three of the first four completed matches. Smith struck first with a 6-2, 6-1, win over McPhee at No. 3. Jacobs answered with the Mustangs by winning 12-straight games over Ching for a 6-3, 6-0, win at No. 4.
As has been the case for most of the season, the tandem of Harbatsiuk and Stryhas each tallied a win at the top of the ladder. Stryhas bettered Bridge, 6-2, 6-1, at No. 2 before Harbatsiuk beat Matt Fawcett, 6-4, 6-4.
The final point of play came at No. 6 where Tim Lantin was forced to retire due to cramps early in the third set against Sebastian Bell. Lantin whon the first set, 6-2, but dropped a marathon second set in a tie-break, 7-6 (8-6). Bell held a 3-2 lead in the third when Lantin retired.
Sacramento State continues its stretch of nonleague matches when it plays at Saint Mary's on March 8.
Sacramento State 4, Cal Poly 3
1. HARBATSIUK, Kiryl (SAC) def. Matt Fawcett (CP) 6-4, 6-4
2. STRYHAS, Anton (SAC) def. Jordan Bridge (CP) 6-2, 6-1
3. SMITH, Jason (SAC) def. Brian McPhee (CP) 6-2, 6-1
4. Drew Jacobs (CP) def. CHING, Holden (SAC) 6-3, 6-0
5. STARCEVIC, Marko (SAC) def. Robert Foy (CP) 2-6, 7-6 (7-5), 6-2
6. Sebastian Bell (CP) def. LANTIN, Tim (SAC) 2-6, 7-6 (8-6), 3-2, retired
1. HARBATSIUK, Kiryl/STARCEVIC, Marko (SAC) def. Matt Fawcett/Robert Foy (CP) 8-6
2. Jordan Bridge/Drew Jacobs (CP) def. CHING, Holden/STRYHAS, Anton (SAC) 9-8 (11-9)
3. Blake Wardman/Brian McPhee (CP) def. SMITH, Jason/ROBERTS, Jimmy (SAC) 8-6
Cal Poly 5-11
Sacramento State 12-7
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (3,4,2,1,5,6)